Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Givi Luggage and Brackets (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10161-givi-luggage-brackets.html)

Administrator 12-09-2008 02:36 PM

Givi Luggage and Brackets

Original Article:
Givi Luggage and Brackets

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Givi Luggage and Brackets in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

sachiwilson 12-09-2008 03:37 PM

Nice report. I use Givi hard bags (and have for YEARS.) They are excellent. You can also get lights from Admore Lighting that are designed to work under the stock Givi reflectors. Very cool!

Kenneth_Moore 12-09-2008 04:35 PM

My Givis did double duty as a crash bar when the lady whacked me in the parking lot. It put some little scratches in the plastic on the bottom of the case, but that's it. Amazing.

The rack installation instructions are a bad joke, and the mounting hardware is cheap junk; I suggest a trip to Home Despot's Stainless Steel Hardware Cabinet for replacements before commencing installation. An extra $6 and you're good to go.

SmokeU 12-10-2008 05:39 AM

I have to agree Ken. When I put the E46 on my Concours I had to laugh at what was provided. The case and rack are great, but the instructions and hardware are not.

seruzawa 12-10-2008 06:52 AM

I put the 20 liter Givi hard bags on my Z-Rex using mounting brackets from SW-Motech. The brackets are stout and the sideracks remove easily with dzus fasteners leaving the bike looking clean. They also lock to the bike making luggage theft difficult. SW-Motech makes brackets for a number of popular bikes.

Once you use hard bags you'll never go back.

sachiwilson 12-10-2008 07:23 AM

Hmm, what was wrong with the "hardware"? They are just allen bolts, and they all seemed fine on mine.

Kenneth_Moore 12-10-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 198859)
Hmm, what was wrong with the "hardware"? They are just allen bolts, and they all seemed fine on mine.

They use amps instead of watts. Pretty silly of them.

Kenneth_Moore 12-10-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachiwilson (Post 198859)

Ok, now that I've gotten that out of my system: the hardware is made of extremely soft, cheap metal. They will corrode, and if you try to remove them down the road, you can expect them to sieze and/or break off.

BrowningBAR 12-10-2008 05:00 PM

Makes me want to buy a Ninja 650R...

sachiwilson 12-10-2008 05:02 PM

I didn't notice any particular problem when I installed them (and when I took off the rack and reinstalled it a couple times), but I'll keep an eye on the bolts. And the watts and amps too!