Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Aprilia SXV 5.5 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10140-2008-aprilia-sxv-5-5-review.html)

Administrator 12-08-2008 02:17 PM

2008 Aprilia SXV 5.5 Review

Original Article:
2008 Aprilia SXV 5.5 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2008 Aprilia SXV 5.5 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

giganto 12-08-2008 02:28 PM

..pragmatic..

I want one. Its what my tired XR600 thinks itself to be when excited.
..P. Hilton is no doubt august, sober, and above all pragmatic, on her days off from the mill, accomplishing household chores, balancing the checkbook, weeding the yard.
Nice article.

mscuddy 12-08-2008 02:53 PM

When's Obami gonna get with the stem cell research? Way cool bike, hope spare parts don't come from Cosmopolitan Motors and Unice the nasty parts lady who needs a gross dozen of anything before she'll order it. Where are my leg braces? Gotta get rid of the Go-Devil now I guess...

Kevin_Duke 12-08-2008 03:50 PM

Thanks, giganto! I hope I was in some way convey how entertaining the SXV is.

As for you, Cuddy, you're almost as entertaining!

acecycleins 12-09-2008 05:39 AM

"let the more practical riders buy a V-Strom."

Hey Ken!- Think Duke was referring to you? The way you ride I wouldn't call you practical- frugal maybe, practical- hardly.

seruzawa 12-09-2008 06:14 AM

Sounds like just the ticket. (ba da bing!)

BTW does anyone have any feedback on the hours-between-rebuilds of these V-twin 'Prillers? I'd hate to spend 10K for a bike that needed a rebuild every year.

Kenneth_Moore 12-09-2008 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 198763)
"let the more practical riders buy a V-Strom."

Hey Ken!- Think Duke was referring to you? The way you ride I wouldn't call you practical- frugal maybe, practical- hardly.

"Frugal: is just a nice veneer on "broke."

Honestly, this bike wouldn't appeal to me except as a third or fourth. I like the Vee because it's BIG in every physical respect, but still handles well and goes fast. It's roomier than Mike's Ultra, I look over everything but the biggest SUVs and trucks, and there's all that bodywork, dash, and windscreen out front. Backseat, saddlebags; I'm adding a DVD player for the kid this Christmas for those longer rides. I'm sure the 5.5 would outrun the Vee with equal riders, but the Vee's power and torque are plenty big too (for me, anyway). It certainly won't compete for the riders who are buying Stroms to go off pavement; they might as well get a dirt bike. Duke is right; I doubt they'll be moving Strom riders over.

So, now that they have a "5.5" version, are they going to be putting out Service Packs between model years?

The_AirHawk 12-09-2008 07:34 AM

I know one guy who has had one going on two years, problem (and rebuild) free, with a little-bit of everything thrown in - thrashing it, daily commute, pleasure, etc (last I had heard). I also know one guy that barely got to enjoy it 'cuz it spent more time in the shop than out, 'til he got 'Prilla to buy it back via Lemon Law.

So, 50/50 chance empirically you'll be P.O.'d you bought it?

jmdonald 12-09-2008 08:52 AM

Another stellar review along with another bike I want. Keep up the good work.

Kevin_Duke 12-09-2008 10:27 AM

Aprilia of Thousand Oaks tells me there were some issues with 2007 models (starters; engine case misalignment), but these issues have been addressed and they have had no troubles with 2008 bikes. Valve inspections are supposed to be at 5600 miles. They said the engine should have a top-end rebuild after 90 hours. Frequent oil changes are recommended (every 1900 miles), so that might be key in enabling this motor to last.