Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Aprilia of Thousand Oaks tells me there were some issues with 2007 models (starters; engine case misalignment), but these issues have been addressed and they have had no troubles with 2008 bikes. Valve inspections are supposed to be at 5600 miles. They said the engine should have a top-end rebuild after 90 hours. Frequent oil changes are recommended (every 1900 miles), so that might be key in enabling this motor to last.
How much does a top end rebuild cost? At 50mph, you would run into a rebuild every 4500 miles. I would've had to have two rebuilds in the past year. Based on maintenance costs, I think I'll stick with my Uly (until I but my new Ducati).

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
baldheadeddork
Founding Member

Quote:
When the SXV and enduro sibling RXV were originally introduced, there was some concern over the durability of the engine for extended high-rpm street use...
If there wasn't concern when they were introduced, there damn well was after they started puking their engines weeks later.

The SXV/RXV engine failures were legendary, expensive and Aprilia didn't cover themselves in glory in how they handled complaints. Burying this four paragraphs from the end - and then barely addressing the problem - doesn't help Aprilia's reputation or MO's.
baldheadeddork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
ab1motorsports
Registered Member

Hello Everyone

AB-1 Motorsports has road raced the SXV 550 in WERA National and Regional races during 2007 and 2008. During this time we have won over 50 races.

Below are some videos and racing pictures you might enjoy.

Links to some amazing videos

Aprilia 550 exhaust built by AB-1 Motorsports. You have never heard an exhaust note like this!!!! YouTube - Interstate Cycle Aprilia SXV 5.5 Dyno Run

WERA Nationals at Summit Point
YouTube - AB-1 Motorsports: Lap 1 Practice Summit Point 2008
Lap 1 of practice.......AB-1 Motards behind two front riders on SV650s

YouTube - AB-1 Motorsports: Lap 2 Practice Summit Point 2008
Lap 2 of practice. Two SV650s and AB-1 Motards come into turn 10 .....together. SXV550 exits 15 bike lengths ahead!!!!

YouTube - AB-1 Motorsports: Lap 3 Practice Summit Point 2008
Lap 3 of practice......who is out front?

>>>>>>

Links to race results and great photos

AB-1 Motorsports featured on Aprilia USA web site.
Aprilia.com

AB-1 Motorsports featured on the leading European Aprilia web site.
Aprilia News: AB-1 SXV's kicking ass in the Wera Nationals

WERA Nationals at Las Vegas Report. AB-1 Motorsports Wins Every Race Entered! (Great race photos) Aprilia Wins At Las Vegas WERA Nationals - ApriliaForum sponsored by AF1 Racing, inc.

WERA Nationals at Miller Motorsports Park Report. AB-1 Motorsports Wins 5 Races! (Team photos) AB-1 Motorsports Wins 5 Races at Miller - ApriliaForum sponsored by AF1 Racing, inc.

WERA Nationals at Gratten Motorsports Park Report. AB-1 Motorsports Wins 3 Races and is protested! (Amazing Race Photos) Grattan WERA Nationals: Aprilias Dominate - ApriliaForum sponsored by AF1 Racing, inc.

2007 Recap: AB-1 Wins WERA Championships & Builds Dodges Bonneville Record Setter (Many photos) AB-1 Wins WERA Championships on Aprilias & Builds Dodges Bonneville Record Setter - ApriliaForum sponsored by AF1 Racing, inc.

Post any questions you have about roadracing the SXV....hope to see everyone at the WERA National races in 2009...stop by and see us.

Mike

Last edited by ab1motorsports : 12-17-2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: added more info
ab1motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Last edited by sachiwilson : 12-18-2008 at 07:43 AM.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:59 AM   #15
pplassm
Founding Member

That's pretty neat. Nice to see the bikes are competitive against the other, larger V-twins.