Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

A couple of "generic" vendors I have stuff from that have been great:

admorelighting.com if you want LED lights in your saddlebags. They make kits for almost every hard bag out there.

Kakao throttle lock. Very well made, looks factory, easy to use for lock or friction.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Good ideas, gang. Keep 'em coming!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #23
rrsteve
Founding Member

OK, Seriously now.
ABS plastic fairing needs crash bars; SW Motech or Happy Trails. Heated grips now that alternator puts out more juice. Maybe extra lighting as well but I understand new bike's lights are much better. Brakes and forks upgraded from -'07 models so just add braided steel lines and Galfer pads. Open up the airbox and do the 22 cent mod; allows engine to breathe better at the expense of the EPA. Add racks for bags, I prefer Turbo City's soft bag holders; hard bags can damage the rider in a fall. Center stand has it's pluses and minuses. I carry a "crutch leg" that does not decrease ground clearance. Cogent's Moab shock is a first class unit, I can't afford it. Progressive fork springs and some raising links were in my budget. Wolfman Explorer tank bag for sure. Mefo or TKC 80 tires for off road ability, a real skidplate while we're at it. GPS, bike to bike communicator, heated clothing/battery charging pig tail, etc. That's all I can think of for now. I ride an '06 KLR, I love it but the new bike is much sexier. Oh yeah, a tall windshield for the trip from Prudhoe Bay to Patagonia...

Last edited by rrsteve : 12-12-2008 at 07:05 PM.
rrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:36 AM   #24
pplassm
Founding Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteve View Post
OK, Seriously now.
ABS plastic fairing needs crash bars; SW Motech or Happy Trails. Heated grips now that alternator puts out more juice. Maybe extra lighting as well but I understand new bike's lights are much better. Brakes and forks upgraded from -'07 models so just add braided steel lines and Galfer pads. Open up the airbox and do the 22 cent mod; allows engine to breathe better at the expense of the EPA. Add racks for bags, I prefer Turbo City's soft bag holders; hard bags can damage the rider in a fall. Center stand has it's pluses and minuses. I carry a "crutch leg" that does not decrease ground clearance. Cogent's Moab shock is a first class unit, I can't afford it. Progressive fork springs and some raising links were in my budget. Wolfman Explorer tank bag for sure. Mefo or TKC 80 tires for off road ability, a real skidplate while we're at it. GPS, bike to bike communicator, heated clothing/battery charging pig tail, etc. That's all I can think of for now. I ride an '06 KLR, I love it but the new bike is much sexier. Oh yeah, a tall windshield for the trip from Prudhoe Bay to Patagonia...

That sounds like an impressive set of modifications. Cool.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Are you going to order the big "GS" sticker that's on the display model from Twisted Throttle?

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 01-04-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #26
12er
Founding Member

Do not get Avon Slipsters, uh er gripsters if you ride on wet pavement. Well unless you enjoy low sides. Dry they are fine but soft and burn up fast.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #27
pplassm
Founding Member

This would look great on that bike:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg klrlogo.jpg (11.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #28
johnnynemo
Founding Member

What's been happening to the project KLR? Looking forward to more updates.
johnnynemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #29
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Fonzie just rode it 4700 miles to Panama. Now he's in Daytona. Once he gets back home we'll crack the whip. Stay tuned.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #30
kevrider
Registered Member

Default motor kit

interesting project. if i were buying a KLR, i'd like to have as much info as possible about this Schnitz piston kit. a KLR685 is much more interesting than a KLR651. supposedly, there's a 705 kit as well. pull out that corporate amex and drop that motor!
kevrider is offline   Reply With Quote