Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-02-2008, 05:20 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I got enough test rides on assorted Supersport Ducatis from a local dealer to know I would never buy one. They are designed for midgets.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #12
pushrod
Founding Member

I rode bothe the 675 and Street Triple (2008's) during the Triumph Demo's at Barber last month.

The 675 was nowhere near as comfortable for me (6', 32" inseam) as the Stripple. The folks that really liked the 675 were those 5'10" and less. Not too much less, 'cause then the reach to the ground became a problem.

That Street Triple, especially with the Arrow pipe, is a DL burner! It's all you can do to behave when it starts to sing!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #13
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Let me say in light of Ace's post the below may be bull.

I haven't heard of any Ducati dealerships offering test rides unless they really want it off the showroom. My brother got the big 4 demo when he bought his 996 back in the day. Which is buy it and return in less that 15 miles if you dont want it. Triumph, bmw, buell / HD are about the only ones consistently offering demo's. Maybe hope that the IMS is offering demo rides or get in good with your local duc dealer. Granted if I showed enough interest and knowledge about the bike, and showed up on mine most places hand me the keys. Then again Ive never asked for the keys to a SS bike. All my demo rides have been adventure bikes or my BMW, your Uly being one of them along with the KTM adv and the GS adv.

In every Duc shop in the SE I've been able to ride the latest. Even if I was just goffing off at the dealer for the day. I suggest going and talking directly to the sales mgr.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #14
pdad13
Founding Member

Can't speak for the 1098/848 except for a few sit tests, but I have a D675.

I think Pushrod got it more or less right. If you're average height, the Daytona can be actually quite comfortable for a sport bike. I have no real comfort issues with mine at all. The angle of the clip-ons was occasionally bothersome to my right (throttle) wrist at first but improved within about two weeks. Now I never have any soreness at all. It's a short reach to the bars and, although low and narrow, they fall right to your hands. Keep some weight on the pegs and you'll stop your nuts from being squeezed against the tank. There's a good amount of leg room.

In slow traffic on particularly hot days, the exhaust can be a bit warm, but once moving at a decent clip you don't really feel it. On warm-to-cool days, the exhaust isn't a problem at all. On cold days, it's welcome.

I can see that if you're significantly taller or shorter than average (5'9"-5'11"), you may run into some issues on the Daytona, but it depends on the individual.

From the sit tests, the 1098/848 has a fairly long stretch to low clip-ons, so some with a long torso/arms and shorter legs might be fine with it. I don't know many people who are built like that, though. Seriously, all in all, it didn't seem that bad.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:09 PM   #15
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

I've read that article several times now. The video is great with the sound of that beautiful desmo engine. Delicioso!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #16
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I got enough test rides on assorted Supersport Ducatis from a local dealer to know I would never buy one. They are designed for midgets.

I sat on one at last years IMS in my riding gear, the only thing funnier than the snap-crackle-pop from the body work was the frozen smiles on the oh-so-hip scrawny Ducatisti` while I monkey f*cked their motorcycle

I don't think fat bastards like me are their target demographic....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I sat on one at last years IMS in my riding gear, the only thing funnier than the snap-crackle-pop from the body work was the frozen smiles on the oh-so-hip scrawny Ducatisti` while I monkey f*cked their motorcycle

"Hey, youse guys gotta WRENCH I can use t' turn up da' effin' PRELOAD on dis 'ting?"
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 AM   #18
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post

The one I looked at was at a Ducati/BMW/Victory dealer. Come to think of it, all the guys selling Ducati we rather small. The one bigger guy (6'2") at the dealership rides a BMW. Maybe that should tell me something.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #19
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The article mentions "it's class" a few times. What "class" is it in? It's not really a 600, it's 1/2 way to the Gixxer 750, it's well under the Duc 8...

I suspect the local Triumph dealer would say it's in a class of it's own. BTW: he's happy to hand out demo rides on his Ducs or his Triumphs. I just couldn't get them to quote a price on a damn Multistrada demo when I was buying, so I went and bought a Vee. At least the Suzuki dealer pretended my business was important to him.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #20
anrajala
Founding Member

Terrible news from the auto industry in Europe: Yugo has ceased production. Over here named Zastava Koral, or as it was affectionately known “little big sh*t”. Last of the old school saloons where you could smell both the gasoline and exhaust fumes at the same time. R.I.P.

I blame the unions.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote