Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
rawdogg121
Registered Member

Default Switching from Sport bike to Cruiser, which one do I buy?

Hey I have been riding a yamaha fzr 600 sport bike for 4 years now and I am realizing that I would like a more comfortable ride for longer travel. That being said I want something that is very maneuverable and not too heavy for small city streets. I am 5'7 and 170lbs so the heavy hogs aren't for me. But I want it to still have some nut on straight aways and highway. I need a good middle of the road bike with really smooth turning. I am looking for some recommendations, because I can't test drive them all. I hope to get a starting point for my search for the right cruiser for me. Thanks a lot.
rawdogg121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

If you're looking at a cruiser for a "more-comfortable bike" you may be sorely-disappointed. Open up to a naked-standard such as a Suzi SV or a KTM Duke, or a 'Priller Falco or Tuono - the used bike market is starting to show some real "deals" out there, and if you've got a bit of cash at the right time............
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

What AirHawk said.

Most cruisers these days are immense and (relatively) gutless. You can get lighter cruisers -- around 450-550 pounds - if you move down into the 650-750 cc range. But those are even MORE gutless.

Also, a feet-forward riding style is NOT a good design for long-distance comfort. Bikes are not chairs, and just because something feels comfortable in a showroom doesn't mean it'll feel good when the bike is moving. All of your weight goes on your butt, so all the shock goes up your back. To make it worse, that riding position means your back curves the wrong way, so all the shock is a killer for your back. You can deal with some of these issues with aftermarket seats (it's best to go custom) and backrests, but you're still stuck with a riding position that is not designed for long hauls.

For good long distance comfort, look at BMWs, Ducati's and Triumph's touring bikes, the Honda 599 or 919 (if you can find any), the Yamaha FZ-6, and so on. Those bikes have a more upright position than your sportbike, but also have the footpegs under your butt so you can support your weight with your legs. What you will want to find is a bike that puts just a bit of weight on your arms when you are riding, so that the wind lifts you up and holds you when you are riding. You can go a long, long way with that setup.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
What AirHawk said.

Most cruisers these days are immense and (relatively) gutless. You can get lighter cruisers -- around 450-550 pounds - if you move down into the 650-750 cc range. But those are even MORE gutless.

Also, a feet-forward riding style is NOT a good design for long-distance comfort. Bikes are not chairs, and just because something feels comfortable in a showroom doesn't mean it'll feel good when the bike is moving. All of your weight goes on your butt, so all the shock goes up your back. To make it worse, that riding position means your back curves the wrong way, so all the shock is a killer for your back. You can deal with some of these issues with aftermarket seats (it's best to go custom) and backrests, but you're still stuck with a riding position that is not designed for long hauls.

For good long distance comfort, look at BMWs, Ducati's and Triumph's touring bikes, the Honda 599 or 919 (if you can find any), the Yamaha FZ-6, and so on. Those bikes have a more upright position than your sportbike, but also have the footpegs under your butt so you can support your weight with your legs. What you will want to find is a bike that puts just a bit of weight on your arms when you are riding, so that the wind lifts you up and holds you when you are riding. You can go a long, long way with that setup.
Well I realize Japanese "cruisers" mostly have feet-forward positions, there are plenty of H-D models that have standard ergos.

Of course, H-D doesn't make "cruisers."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

a 1200 Sportster should fit the bill or a Triumph T100 Bonneville, or an FZ6, 599 Honda, Buell Lightning, Superglide..lots of choices there. If the International Motorcycle Show is coming to a city near you then go and check out whats there, you'll probably find at least a few that you like.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 11-29-2008 at 08:12 PM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
pplassm
Founding Member

Concours. SV650. VFR.

Need I say more?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Concours. SV650. VFR.

Need I say more?
No, but you could have said less!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The great thing about Sachi's rant is that you can't tell that she absolutely hates cruisers. With her description, I'm suprised cruiser riders could make it around the block without screaming in agony! Gotta laugh.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Two choices. Both have loads of torque. Both cost similar money and both have handling that's a step above your typical cruiser.
The New HD XR1200 and the Moto Guzzi Griso 4v. Or just wait a little longer and nut up the $18k and get the new V-max.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #10
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

The description of what you want doesn't really fit the "category" you've listed. Say standard and see what names get thrown at you. Can you say Wee Strom?