Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2009 Can-Am Spyder SE5 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/10032-2009-can-am-spyder-se5-review.html)

Administrator 11-20-2008 11:34 AM

2009 Can-Am Spyder SE5 Review

Original Article:
2009 Can-Am Spyder SE5 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2009 Can-Am Spyder SE5 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

mscuddy 11-22-2008 10:26 AM

Well that does it, I'm gonna start saving my spare change and selling everything in the garage to get one of these now. The thumb shifting did it. Now to just find some velcro pants...

pplassm 11-22-2008 10:42 AM

You need to install a brake lever, too. The stock "bike" has only a brake pedal. Shouldn't be hard for one of your skills, though.

I rode one, and it's a hoot!

Kevin_Duke 11-23-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 198068)
Well that does it, I'm gonna start saving my spare change and selling everything in the garage to get one of these now. The thumb shifting did it. Now to just find some velcro pants...

Go, Cuddy!

pushrod 11-23-2008 07:19 PM

Matt,

Not velcro pants! You'd never get unstuck!

Rig up a 'tank bra', with gunner's belts on either side, attached on the aft end. Velcro rug on the tank, hook on the ends of the belts. When you mount the bike, reach under each leg for the bitter end of the belt and pull your leg up snug.

You'll probably want a third belt to hold your tushie down on the saddle. Looks like these Spyders can really cut a turn!

Of course, you'll need to figure out how to capture your feet. Maybe some rare earth magnets. One strapped to your boot, the other attached to something on the bike.

I bet if you asked the Duke'ster nicely, he could probably get you in touch with Bombardier Engineering. I'd guess they have a handbrake design they decided not to use.

Hoo-yah!

MOKE1K 11-24-2008 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 198068)

Mscuddy are you paraplegic?

longride 11-24-2008 06:08 AM

Yes he is. He got run over by some a$$hole while riding on the street and ended up with a spinal cord injury. The dude that did him walked away scot free too. Really sucks man.

sarnali2 11-24-2008 06:41 AM

Riding a Buell too of all things, if only it had a better motor....

MOKE1K 11-24-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 198115)
Yes he is. He got run over by some a$$hole while riding on the street and ended up with a spinal cord injury. The dude that did him walked away scot free too. Really sucks man.

Your freakin kidding me, how did he get out of it, scot free?

The reason I ask is, my father has been in a chair since 76. Used to be an ironworker, feel off a building and had a beam cut his spinal cord almost in half. After years of playing tennis and pushing marathons hes finally wearing down the plates in his back that are fuzed to his bones. Thought of him when the spyder came out too although hes never rode.

Anyhow, we have a customer that's a paraplegic and owns a spyder he's got a full wheelchair rack to carry it when hes riding. Not sure how his feet are restrained but I'll look next time hes in. I think its just velcro straps though.

Be great to get back out on the raod Mscuddy if you are not riding currently.