Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #11
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Iv heard GM's doing great,... IN CHINA?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2008, 05:28 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'll bring up GM in a couple of years. They aren't going under.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

No, they'll re-organize, f'k a bunch of people over and bounce back. They make some great vehicles now and we need the manufacuring base, not to mention the 2 million plus workers in the auto and componant industry. They ain't going anywhere.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
I'll bring up GM in a couple of years. They aren't going under.
Oh, no doubt they'll survive somehow. The Q is when will the bankruptcy reorganization finally happen? Giving GM 25B will only encourage them to go along the same route they are and make GM's eventual acquisition by new competent owners more difficult.

You might want to put off buying stock for now. It's got a ways down to go yet. And prepare for the stock certificates to say "Honda" on them. Heck, GM's buy out value right now is only, what, $7B? almost any multi-national corp could buy them. Why aren't they? GM is wedded to problems that are insurmountable unless it can reorganize and dump its retirement/over-priced labor/unprofitable_dealerships problems. After all, how can any company survive that is forced to pay tens of thousands of idle "workers" full salaries and has to pay $103K per year to forklift operators? The retirement costs for GM are something like $1500 per vehicle. Yikes!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #15
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
No, they'll re-organize, f'k a bunch of people over and bounce back. They make some great vehicles now and we need the manufacuring base, not to mention the 2 million plus workers in the auto and componant industry. They ain't going anywhere.
Sorry, I'm against the bailout. They are in the situation due to their own poor choices and the poor choices of the UAW. Someone will come in and fill the void.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Hell, the stock is under 3 bucks now. It can't go that much lower without going off the board. If they survive, the stock will certainly be much higher than 3 bucks. I just think they will make it, but it ain't gonna be pretty and it ain't gonna be soon. I'm talking going long on them, and I think that will work.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #17
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

If they actually ship this thing they may have a chance of at least keeping Hummer alive:

Hummer HX Concept - Concept Vehicles - Motor Trend
Old 11-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
If they actually ship this thing they may have a chance of at least keeping Hummer alive:

Hummer HX Concept - Concept Vehicles - Motor Trend
There's another company out there already MAKES one of those - only, they call it the Wrangler...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #19
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Sorry, I'm against the bailout. They are in the situation due to their own poor choices and the poor choices of the UAW. Someone will come in and fill the void.
Right there with you, I dont know of an american car I would want to buy. Bought a ford truck once, once! Learned my lesson there, what a POS. Designed to break was taking to the extreme. 100 miles past the 36k warranty a whole string of unrelated problems unfolded over and over again. Traded it in after 56k and never looked back.

Then the SUV craze fueled the fuel craze leading us ever so much faster to the path of destruction. If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem, good riddance.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
My wife likes big V-twin cruisers and so I've considered buying one for touring. They can be set up to be quite comfortable and usually get decent gas mileage. BTW 1300cc is still a big V-twin.

But the ridiculous weights always make me change my mind. Why do these things have to weight 75lbs+ more than my GL1100 tourer? Do they use cast iron frame joints like HD used to? Is it required to have floorboards that drag at the drop of a hat? Even two up my GL1100 easily humiliates Yamaha's Road Stars up and down Logan Canyon. Is this progress? I'd bet even my old Shovelhead would easily out run most of these monsters on a mountain road.
The Honda is a nice piece, but I think the injected V-Star 1300 is nicer.

As for the weights, keep in mind that you can't reliably compare the old dry weights optimistically claimed by OEMs pre-2008. For '09, the Japanese companies have agreed to provide actual weight of bikes, plus fuel.

As for the Star-humiliating GL, I'll give you a run with a Star Warrior or VMax!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote