Honda ST1300 3 16.67%
Yamaha FJR1300 5 27.78%
Kawasaki Concours 1400 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
rkrayton2000
Founding Member

Default Sport Tourers

Help I own a 2001 Kawasaki Ninja ex500. I've had the bike for about 5 years and love it but now that I am approaching 40 years old time to get rid of the sport bike and move up to a sport touring bike. I've done the online research and narrowed the choices to three honda st1300,yamaha fjr1300, Kawasaki concours 14 have a test ride on the honda wed 7/18 any advice will be appriecated thanks
rkrayton2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I'll go with the FJR. I've heard so many people b!tch about the honda, and I don't like the styling.

I'm just not sold on the Kawasaki. I think it's going to be one of those bikes that gets praise from all the moto journalists this year, and the following year people start panning it for short-comings.

Besides, stay away from first year models. Both the Yami and Honda had heat issues for the first year or two...or three. Yami seems to have tried hard at limiting it and I think Honda sent out a press release saying that there is no such thing as heat and to move along.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
rkrayton2000
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I'll go with the FJR. I've heard so many people b!tch about the honda, and I don't like the styling.

I'm just not sold on the Kawasaki. I think it's going to be one of those bikes that gets praise from all the moto journalists this year, and the following year people start panning it for short-comings.

Besides, stay away from first year models. Both the Yami and Honda had heat issues for the first year or two...or three. Yami seems to have tried hard at limiting it and I think Honda sent out a press release saying that there is no such thing as heat and to move along.
Thanks that's the kind of info I need not some biased info i've gotten from the dealers. the guy at honda said the heat problem was solved this year by some tech mods(said something about they moved the engine foreword or something who knows?)sounded like he recited from the salesman handbook will find out first hand wed thanks again
Old 07-17-2007, 12:46 AM   #4
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Actually, my post did seem pretty biased against Honda.

But I just remember reading a lot more on how yamaha actively tried to limit the issue. With the Yami, you will still have to deal with their retarded ordering process, unless you find a dealer with one on the showroom floor.

What do you plan on using the tourer for? If you are looking for more "sports" I would stay away from all three as I've read numerous people who thought they were getting a sportbike b!tch about the FJR because they thought it was slow and heavy. Which really meant they wanted a true sportbike and just made a bad purchase because I believe the FJR has around 145 horses, I think the Honda is somewhere in the 130s and the Kawi should be atleast in the 140s.

Don't forget, there are other options likt the Triumph ST, which seems to get a lot of good marks. The only negative I've heard is the heat complaint. But it seems Triumph has made some sort of attempt to minimize this. There is also the Ducati ST3. Apart from the rumored pricy maintenance you'll hear a lot of people have really enjoyed it. It also seems to be the lightest of the sports tourers by quite a bit. Based on claimed weight the Duc is about 20lbs lighter than the Triumph, 100lbs lighter than the Yami, 200lbs lighter than the Honda, and the Kawi's weight isn't available yet, but it is probably in between the Yami and the Honda.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:02 AM   #5
rkrayton2000
Founding Member

Funny you should mention the fjr availability the dealer I bought my ex500 from has 2 on his showroom floor and he said they would not last long but he did give me the option of "holding" one of the bikes for a fee. I thought about a bike like the honda interceptor or even one of the "rocket sport tourers" zx-14 or the busa. My daughter says just modify the ex500 into a sport tourer I just thought that real funny until i realized that I already have bought heated grips, added a stronger generator to support my heated vest with a few more mods it would work but I think I need more power for the loads I'll be carrying on my trips into the Ga mountains and I want a new bike thanks for the additional info won't opt for the Ducati have a brother with one and all the maintenance cost you heard about are true. $1150 for break-in service he paid for at 1800 miles convinced me of that but will research the Triumph ST thanks Oh by the way I am going more for confort than sport so the performance is not as important but still want some sport thanks.

Last edited by rkrayton2000 : 07-17-2007 at 01:06 AM. Reason: answer a question
Old 07-17-2007, 05:28 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

I vote SprintST!

If you want us to choose between sport tourers then you should list real sport tourers rather than these 600+ lb behemoths that are only sport bikes in some marketing man's delusional universe.

Shouldn't the list be:

SprintST
VFR
Capo Nord
ST3/4
Norge

At least list bikes closer to 500 lbs. Calling something a 600+ lb something a "sport tourer" don't make it so. After all, they call some minivans "sport" too.

Last edited by seruzawa : 07-17-2007 at 06:41 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Listed dry weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Based on claimed weight the Duc is about 20lbs lighter than the Triumph, 100lbs lighter than the Yami, 200lbs lighter than the Honda, and the Kawi's weight isn't available yet, but it is probably in between the Yami and the Honda.
You are waaaay off. The Yamaha actually weighs nearer 700lb than 600. Those dry weights are plain lies. Yamaha expects us to believe the the updated model is 540lbs dry. They should be arrested for false advertising.

May as well include the K1200GT in this list too. It nears 700lb as well.

Hey, my GL1100 weighs 675lb wet. It must be a sport tourer too. Cool!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:31 AM   #8
pushrod
Founding Member

As much as I love my 03 Sprint ST, I'm thinkin' you should try the new Tiger. Ergoes are a bit easier, and the bike is a do-anything kind of machine. Even though the Triumph bags kinda suck, they do hold a good bit o' stuff, and a top box is optional.

I suppose the same arguments apply for the Buell Ulysses, but I have no firsthand knowledge of that bike.

You don't mention your height and inseam. Those can be important, because more than a few bikes are uncomfortable for long legged riders, and the short-armed folks have trouble with the reach to the bars on some bikes.

And why the heck am I not allowed to edit my posts?
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I'm pretty sure I put the word "claimed" in there...um, yeah I did.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
SmokeU
Registered Member

Eh, I can't edit mine yet either. I figure it's ongoing technical difficulties.
SmokeU is offline   Reply With Quote