View Poll Results: please pick the bike you would buy
Honda ST1300 3 16.67%
Yamaha FJR1300 5 27.78%
Kawasaki Concours 1400 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2007, 05:50 AM   #21
pplassm
Founding Member

I just turned 50 and discovered I wanted a bike I could ride all day and still function, yet still had some sporting attributes.

I found a '92 Concours at a very reasonable price. Its just what I wanted. Try one. They're all over the place and they're cheap. Just about any complaint has been addressed by a large group of loyal riders (www.concours.org).

Last edited by pplassm : 07-19-2007 at 05:54 AM.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2007, 06:14 AM   #22
rkrayton2000
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
I just turned 50 and discovered I wanted a bike I could ride all day and still function, yet still had some sporting attributes.

I found a '92 Concours at a very reasonable price. Its just what I wanted. Try one. They're all over the place and they're cheap. Just about any complaint has been addressed by a large group of loyal riders (www.concours.org).
Thanks one of my more mature riding buddies has a 95 Concours and swears by it I will have a look,
rkrayton2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Have you considered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrayton2000 View Post
Thanks one of my more mature riding buddies has a 95 Concours and swears by it I will have a look,
...the Adventure tourers as well? A friend recently sold his ST1100 and bought a DL1000 V-Strom and is totally loving it. Good handling, waaay lighter than any of the three you listed and versatile. Don't even think of negotiating a dirt road on any of the "sport tourers" you listed. I'd rather ride my GL1100 on a gravel road than those.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:21 AM   #24
rkrayton2000
Founding Member

Smile All asphalt for me in the concrete jungle of ATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
...the Adventure tourers as well? A friend recently sold his ST1100 and bought a DL1000 V-Strom and is totally loving it. Good handling, waaay lighter than any of the three you listed and versatile. Don't even think of negotiating a dirt road on any of the "sport tourers" you listed. I'd rather ride my GL1100 on a gravel road than those.
not really not too many trails in Ga and I will probably be riding 2 up for the most part(my wife and daughter love to ride)but I like the V-storm seemed the seating was a little high for my taste. Thanks for the suggestion You guys are great y'all are really making me think this out instead of a hasty decision.
rkrayton2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #25
bbtowns
Founding Member

As far as the V-Strom goes, I've put about 60K on them. They are a good "good weather" tourer (I've done a SS1K and the Alcan 5000 on it comfortably). The lack of a lower fairing means little protection in the rain, but with a Stich on that doesn't bother me too much. Still I grab my Connie when it comes to foul weather.
The Connie will get replaced by the new one when I start to hear any problems are getting worked out. But I've got an ST4s too, so I'm not short on sport-tourers.
bbtowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:22 AM   #26
maladg
Registered Member

I went with the R1200RT a couple of months ago. So far, so good. As is typical of BMW, most excellent two up.

I wanted an ST13 to replace my recently departed ST11, but with a wonky knee and the BMW being over 100 lbs lighter and the ST13 not one lb lighter.....
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 AM   #27
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Well if you where tempted to turn you EX500 into a Sport Touring bike have you thought about a Ninja 650?
I tried one on for size and I really liked it. I bet it has a lot more power then the EX does. The question is are you planning on going two up or not.
For one up I bet Ninja 650 would be a fun little bike sport touring bike. Heck if people can tour on th VStrome 650 I bet they can on the Ninja.
lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Or there's the new buellish Versys.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=246
Old 07-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #29
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Weight is a big deal. I used to think that big (as in ccs) bikes were better but with more ccs comes more size and more weight. That may be good for some but after wrestling with my bikes for a few years I finally decided I wanted something lighter, so I went down to a 600 cc naked bike (Honda 599.) It's perfect. And it has plenty of power for two-up riding, too, make no mistake about it. I've done two IBA-sanctioned Saddle Sore rides on it, as well as a 1500 mile Bun Burner, so it's a good long distance mount.

Of course, everyone fits bikes differently and needs different things but you should not look only at large faired bikes out of the thought that such a bike is the only good touring bike. They aren't, by a long shot. A Versys, a 599, a BMW F800, or a WeeStrom would all be good touring bikes but would not weigh you down.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:05 PM   #30
lwatcdr
Founding Member

I suggested the Ninja over the Versys because it is available and probably a little lower. I agree weight is important but frankly I am leaning away from the fours because of width. I am not short at a little over 6' but I like the way a twin feels more than the fours.
Fours just seem so wide to me. For me light and narrow seems to be the key to comfort. I tried out a WeeStrom and frankly it seems HUGE to me. It would be plenty for two up I am sure.
lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote