Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Tech Support

Old 08-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
tcmoney
Registered Member

Default Honda CB 360 won't idle

So on my '75 CB 360, it runs really good. It starts right up and i can ride it anywhere. . .but it won't idle. When i turn up the idle screw, it idle's fine at about 1100RPM. . .but then when i rev ithe throttle up to about 3000RPM it just stays there and i have to turn the idle screw back down to where it won't idle. It can't be an air leak because it would just do that all the time right? But it only does it when the idle screw is turned up. And i don't understand how it could be a mechanical issue because the idle screw is one, stationary, seperate screw that really doesn't interfere with a lot of things other than moving the throttle linkage up and down. I mean i know it has to be one of the two, but it just seems like this thing is braking laws of physics or something! ha ha, or maybe i'm just dumb, but if anyone has any ideas, PLEEEEAAAAAASE let me know! Thanks
tcmoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

You could very well have a leak. Inspect all the fittings. Also you should try spraying some lube through the cable. It could be dirty and hanging up.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Easy Rider 2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You could very well have a leak. Inspect all the fittings. Also you should try spraying some lube through the cable. It could be dirty and hanging up.
Also you could just have a "proceedure" problem.

The idle speed should be set ONLY when the engine is thoroughly warm (HOT) and then you maintain useable idle speed when it is COLD by using partial choke.

Do you have a stock air box and filter on it ?
Have you done any cleaning on the carb(s) ??......like some good cleaner in with the gas ?? Could be a gunked up idle jet too.