Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Cold Weather Stories...Or; How I Nearly Lost A Nut To Frostbite

So, the cold weather season is fast approaching, and I plan on riding through most of it. Now, for me it isn't that big of a deal as all of my riding is leisure since I work from home. So, if I get too cold, I just turn around and head home.

The coldest I have ridden in was 25 degree in jeans, jacket, gloves, and full face helmet. I've got some decent thermals I can put on, but this was just a short "Boeing Engineer's Special" (less than 50 miles) ride around some back roads to run some errands.

So, what is the coldest weather you have ever ridden in, how often do you ride during the winter, what is your cut-off point for cold weather riding (temperature, snow/ice, etc.), and what type of system have you set up to fight the cold; electric vest, thermal clothing, Honda generator with central heat (I believe Sachi has that installed).
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The coldest I ever rode a short distance is 5 below zero. In my book, once it's below about 15 degrees, it just falls into the category of 'f*cking cold' and it doen'sn't matter how much lower it is after that. The worst cold ride I ever took is 350 miles from Chicago on the way to Daytona. I started out in 20 degree weather and it was sunny. By Indy, it was 12 and cloudy. By the time I made it to Franklin Kentucky, it was a balmy 34 degrees. I remember checking into the hotel, turing the heater on high in the room and laying in the bed fully geared for at least a half hour to thaw out. I have never been that cold in my entire life. Brutal!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Coldest I ever rode was 20 degrees in a snowstorm in 1983. Somehow I got home without dumping my CB900. Since then when the temperatures hit freezing the bike stays home. As far as riding down to 33 degrees goes, my Vetter equipped GL1100 with the lowers attached is warm enough with the built-in foot warmers. Insulated pants, a thick sweater under the Joe Rocket Ballistic and snowmobile gloves keep me toasty the 42 miles each way.

If you want to ride below freezing, be my guest. You'll probably die.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

Talk about Cold!

Man! It was, like, 64 degrees this morning!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

I regularly rode in below freezing temps, but being in Seattle at the time it rarely got below the mid-20s (and when it did, there was usually ice on Queen Anne). The one ride I remember was when I was commuting to Olympia, about 62 miles from my home, and it was 26 when I started. It was probably colder when I finished - Olympia typically is colder in the winter than Seattle.

I was using an electric vest on that ride. That's all I have now, actually, although I have a ton of clothing for cold climates as well.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Did ya pull out the electric vest? Buz does.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Coldest I recall being was riding from my house to the Tulalip Test Site north of Everett to run a high altitude chamber for some satalite rocket testing, it was around 70 miles one way. It was 19 when I left and for some reason I though my Carhartt jacket and a down vest over my coveralls would be warmer than the leather jacket and wool army pants I usually wore...Unfortunatly I was wrong and was close to hypothermic when I finally arrived. The only thing warm was my feet because I wore my Sorrels, I was scrunched down behind my Ninja's fairing with my fingertips numb..I could barely get my key out to open the Boiler Room door to get warm. When I left it had warmed up to about 35 which felt like summertime.

Now I have much better gear and don't really get cold anymore, I still quit riding when it's below 35 or so because there's too much chance of black ice or freezing fog both of which will put you on your backside before you know what hit you.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 10-10-2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: can't spell..........
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Did ya pull out the electric vest? Buz does.
Dude, it's gonna drop down to 62 tomorrow! 62!

I may as well sell the damn bikes.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I rode a 1970 CB100 Honda from Pier 9 in Norfolk to NAS Oceana in VA Beach in a snow storm, down expressway 61. I was wearing a pilot's survival dry suit, 2 sets of gloves and a WWII army trench coat & flight deck boots. I was so cold that I had to stop at the local squid bar (the Branding Iron) about 3 miles from the base, and hug the hot water heater for about 20 minutes before I could move again. I hate cold weather.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
12er
Founding Member

18 degrees with my stitch and heated jacket, pair of sweats under my jeans under my stich and my winter gloves. Cranked the grips up to high and tried to keep my face from cracking off inside my full face helmet. With the Arai I had to kick the mouth vent up to defrost to keep the fog down but made for a totally numb face. Used to ride my KLR back in the day down to freezing with only ski pants over my jeans. Would take about 2 hours for my knees to thaw, cold to the bone on a 40 min commute.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote