Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default So what's next?

No pork allowed at the company lunch counter??

National News - Plant workers: Fairness at stake in prayer dispute

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

No comment.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Wonder what a Muslim motorcycle would look like? A rug instead of a seat? Footpegs with sharp spines on 'em for self mutilation when Ramadan comes around? A "self-destruct" button wired to 40 lbs of C4 for the more radical rider? And let's not forget the mandatory towell rack...
Old 09-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Wonder what a Muslim motorcycle would look like? A rug instead of a seat? Footpegs with sharp spines on 'em for self mutilation when Ramadan comes around? A "self-destruct" button wired to 40 lbs of C4 for the more radical rider? And let's not forget the mandatory towell rack...
It's really more like a tablecloth than a towel.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

That 'no comment' says it all.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Ever heard of the "Religious Freedom Restoration Act"? It's a federal law that requires governments and employers to make reasonable accommodations to religious beliefs. What you see in this article is quite predictable.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 09-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Forcing a whole shift to do what a few require isn't reasonable, although it was predictable.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Ever heard of the "Religious Freedom Restoration Act"? It's a federal law that requires governments and employers to make reasonable accommodations to religious beliefs. What you see in this article is quite predictable.

Ever hear of negotiated benifits? does everyone take a break so these paople can go bang their heads or are they supposed to remain on the job. Do they deduct their unauthorized breaks from their time sheets? How about work place safety and appropriate dress and req'd PPE around machinery? As you know there's a fairly large Somali community in the Seattle area, as far as I can see they all still wear their traditional clothes. Who's going to be responsible for the inevitable injuries when these flowing robes get caught up in the machinery?

This whole issue is ridicules, the strength in America is as a melting pot. Historically people have come here and assimilated into society, those that do prosper, those that don't become burdens on their families and society in general but the standard remains one set of rules and laws for everyone. Now were supposed to bend over backwards for this group whose adherents are and have been responsible for 99% of the terrorist attacks against the very same free societies that allow them a chance to progress out of the middle ages and live in the modern world?

Un-f*cking-believable....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

RFRA simply requires reasonable accommodation for religious beliefs. "Reasonable" means that the religious beliefs can't override job requirements, such as those for protective clothing (or clothing that is safe around machinery.) I don't know how it fits in with union requirements; I never had to deal with that sort of issue.

Just because America is a "melting pot" doesn't mean that all immigrants have to become like you. Quite the contrary, this country has been changing to accommodate immigrants since it was founded.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 09-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
. Now were supposed to bend over backwards for this group whose adherents are and have been responsible for 99% of the terrorist attacks against the very same free societies that allow them a chance to progress out of the middle ages and live in the modern world?

Un-f*cking-believable....
Do you honestly think that the vast majority of Muslims are terrorists? I can assure you, Jawad S---, sitting in the cube next to me, is a football fan and loves his country. He happens to pray a couple of times a day at work. BFD. It's like saying all Americans are the KKK, the extremists are a tiny fraction of the Muslim world. If you look at the three most dispicable terrorist attacks in the US, one-third of them were perpetrated by Whitey.

What's worse, if you stereotype a group like Muslims and make them the boogeyman, you take your eye off the real enemy (like Iraq versus Afghanistan).

"There is no bigger worry for the US counter-terrorism community than young Caucasian men who have turned to al-Qaeda,” Roger Cressey, a former National Security Council official in the Clinton and Bush administrations, told the US news network MSNBC."