Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #81
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,448
Default

"want one of these. Hope it's got a good muzzle brake."

Jeez, that would be like cutting my FN49 down into a "shorty" config and god help the person who pulls the trigger. .308 is a nasty round, not as nasty as an ought six, or an 8mm mauser, but nasty none the less.

One I got ahold of some Spanish Mausers re-chambered for .308 and you couldn't hit the side of a barn at 50 feet. It was like a circus gun, good for shooting around corners or something. The round would just vanish, never to be seen again. A flag that said "BANG" should have popped out of the muzzle.
__________________
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #82
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Yeah, and you and Obama are going to tell us all exactly what concessions we all have to make. Sounds like a really good reason to get an AK to me. So you don't think Wal-Mart should sell AK's? How about if they have abortion clinics there at Wal-Mart? OK with you, right? My owning an AK infringes on the rights of nobody, yet killing babies is acceptable. Simply amazing logic there. Life is real simple Ken, abortion ends it. You still haven't addressed the issue of the man wants his baby that just got aborted. No rights for him? I guess that is one of the 'concessions' we had to make to live in a larger society? Maybe he doesn't 'need' that son or daughter? Go ahead. Give me some more of that liberal double speak that washes the blood all clean in your mind. Ever see pictures of those late term abortions Ken? I'll post some up if you like.
Dubya has been telling us what concessions we've had to make over the last 8 years, such as trashing 200 years of Constitutional rights over some "war on terrorism." If you took your assault rifle out to fight that, I'd ask to borrow one and help.

I could find gory photos of children killed in drive by shootings by gang-bangers with automatic weapons. It wouldn't prove anything. Obviously you've got strong opinions on abortion and gun control, so do I. There are no more volatile issues around that I can think of. Nothing I'm going to say here is going to change your mind, and I doubt you'll change mine. So, we'll have an election in a couple of months, and we'll both get to vote for who we think best represents our values. I doubt it's going to matter much either way who gets elected; the long-term trend is toward greater intrusion of the governement into our lives; regardless of if it's Democrat or Republican control of the Executive and Legislative branches.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #83
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Dubya has been telling us what concessions we've had to make over the last 8 years, such as trashing 200 years of Constitutional rights over some "war on terrorism." If you took your assault rifle out to fight that, I'd ask to borrow one and help.

I could find gory photos of children killed in drive by shootings by gang-bangers with automatic weapons. It wouldn't prove anything. Obviously you've got strong opinions on abortion and gun control, so do I. There are no more volatile issues around that I can think of. Nothing I'm going to say here is going to change your mind, and I doubt you'll change mine. So, we'll have an election in a couple of months, and we'll both get to vote for who we think best represents our values. I doubt it's going to matter much either way who gets elected; the long-term trend is toward greater intrusion of the governement into our lives; regardless of if it's Democrat or Republican control of the Executive and Legislative branches.
That we can agree on. The Rats have had the votes to stop every bit of intrusive Pube WOT legislation... but they've just gone along with it because they want to use that extra-constitutional power when they are in the WH. They get to beat their breasts in public though and put on a good show. Everybody is happy except the people who get strip searched in the airport because some little Hitler gets a hair up his butt. Ever wonder what happened to all those people who can't get on the local police force because they can't pass a psych exam? TSA, baby!
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #84
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
it avoids the real point which is that having easily available assault rifes in an urban setting isn't good for anyone.
The assault rifle is not the gun of choice for the urban setting. The semiautomatic handgun is. I live outside of Philly where they just LOVE to shoot each other over the dumbest things (snowballs, basketball games, parking spaces, etc.) and not one has used an assault weapon this year. (I can't speak for the other years as I am not about to look it up, but I would guess none were used last year, either)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Same goes for looking up how many crimes they're used in; it is completely irrelevant.
But it isn't irrelevant. Assault weapon related crimes are FAR lower than any other crimes committed with another type of firearm. Assault weapons get looked at negatively to a greater extent because they are more intimidating looking...and they hold so many scary bullets! (even though a handgun mag can hold nearly just as many)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I'd still like to hear why you think we should have automatic weapons and/or assault rifles easily available. There is one reason I can think of, but let's see if you suggest the same one.
Well, one, I think they should be legal because they are a hoot to shoot. But, at the very least, they should be legal for that extremely rare instance when a country turns on its own people or when another country invades that country. A well armed population is a great defense and deterrent.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:21 AM   #85
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I could find gory photos of children killed in drive by shootings by gang-bangers with automatic weapons.
Those guns were purchased and converted illegally. If the gun is already illegal, what would making them even more illegal do? They are already breaking the law purchasing the firearm, converting the firearm to full auto, and killing someone. At a certain point the blame falls to the individual that commits to breaking the law.

Make a gun illegal will only prevent non-criminals from having them. Those that wish to break the law will continue to do so and will continue to use firearms no matter how illegal they are.

Your are aware how difficult and expensive it is to purchase a Class III weapon legally, right?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #86
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
The assault rifle is not the gun of choice for the urban setting. The semiautomatic handgun is. I live outside of Philly where they just LOVE to shoot each other over the dumbest things (snowballs, basketball games, parking spaces, etc.) and not one has used an assault weapon this year. (I can't speak for the other years as I am not about to look it up, but I would guess none were used last year, either)



But it isn't irrelevant. Assault weapon related crimes are FAR lower than any other crimes committed with another type of firearm. Assault weapons get looked at negatively to a greater extent because they are more intimidating looking...and they hold so many scary bullets! (even though a handgun mag can hold nearly just as many)



Well, one, I think they should be legal because they are a hoot to shoot. But, at the very least, they should be legal for that extremely rare instance when a country turns on its own people or when another country invades that country. A well armed population is a great defense and deterrent.
Good points all, BBar, and I like the fact that you're making reasonable arguments and logical points.

What do you say to the police, who are extremely upset about being outgunned? I agree, there are far more crimes committed with handguns, but it doesn't mean that automatic weapons aren't far more dangerous than a pistol. Here in SFL, there was an incident a few months ago where two cops were killed by a guy with an automatic weapon.

The last point is spot-on, a well armed populace is a good deterrent to a totalitarian government. The only thing I'm wondering about is how much further does the government have to go down that path before the people who think that do something about it?
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #87
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I do have to give Obamalama credit for one thing though. When he speaks without a teleprompter he makes Bush sound articulate! ROTFLMAO.
I gotta disagree. No one is worse at public speaking than Bush. I have never seen anyone get worse at it as the years go by. It's like he's trying to do an impression of himself.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #88
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In a really, really, really old farmhouse
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The crowning touch was on Sunday when he told Stephanopolis that the Republicans were going to "attack my Muslim faith". LOL!
Yeah, that wasn't exactly a shining moment for him. But it's weird how the press didn't talk about that more. Isn't it?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #89
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
I gotta disagree. No one is worse at public speaking than Bush. I have never seen anyone get worse at it as the years go by. It's like he's trying to do an impression of himself.
He does mumble and stumble but at least he is somewhat coherent. After a few minutes of uh... duh... uh... er... I just shut Obamalama-fa-fa-fa off. The crowning touch was on Sunday when he told Stephanopolis that the Republicans were going to "attack my Muslim faith". LOL!
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #90
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
Yeah, that wasn't exactly a shining moment for him. But it's weird how the press didn't talk about that more. Isn't it?
Non, it will be a pleasure to put these squishy Terrans on the Planet Houston to the test and finally make them a population worthy of our rule. Their fascination with leaders who promise to give them everything for free bespeaks a serious deficiency or moral fiber. I think we should have this planet well in hand by the time the population drops to around 600 million. I doubt that many of these so-called "Progressives" will pass the test.

Hail Zod/Non. No Taxes.. Just Death!
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off