Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 09-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.
That's strange that there are so many in China, Mexico and Russia - countries where the private-ownership of firearms is strictly forbidden, with substantial prison-penalties for the violation of this ban.

And of course, Nigeria (and all other African nations surrounding it) must be among the Safest places to live in the World - with so few guns in civilian hands...............

Most definitely, given the source of all this information, it can be assumed that it is extremely accurate.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 09-07-2008 at 02:39 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
That's strange that there are so many in China, Mexico and Russia - countries where the private-ownership of firearms is strictly forbidden, with substantial prison-penalties for the violation of this ban.

And of course, Nigeria (and all other African nations surrounding it) must be among the Safest places to live in the World - with so few guns in civilian hands...............

Of course, giving the source of all this information, it can be assumed that it is extremely accurate.
Funny how all these "studies" always end up showing the US as the worst place on Earth.

Now, I'm running off to Cuba for some surgery. I here their healthcare system is fabulous!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
"Thats because all the criminals have guns and none of the law abiding citizens have any."

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people | Reuters

You were just being ironic, right?

Maybe? but I dont own a gun, never have. Consentrating on using one, warrants owning one,....imo. If your worried about it, or worried you'll have to use it, you proably will.

You create your own reality.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 09-07-2008 at 03:20 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I like guns for the mechanical aspect, no so much what harm they can do to something or somebody. But when the sh!t hits the fan like when we have our riot every decade or so, they sure fell good all locked and loaded leaning up against the bedroom wall. I've given most of mine away to friends and family members, but still have the "core", the holy trinity so to speak, a 5 screw S&W mod 27 in .357 mag, a combat materpiece S&W in .38 Special and the FN49 in 8mm. Oh and a couple 10-22 Rugers handging around for fun too.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Guns are much like insurance: you usually don't need it, but when you do, you REALLY need it.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
12er
Founding Member

I only have 3, so I skew the data unlike some friends with 10 or more.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #17
newagetwotone
Registered Member

That is a wonderful saying LR. I'll have to remember that.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
You can believe that hokey data if you want but there's no way 90 out of 100 people have guns.
I figure the average household in Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, etc probably average 10-15 guns per household. A lot of people collect them and most target shooters own several. This means that it is perfectly possible to have large urban centers where most people are disarmed and therefore easy prey for criminals (the true purpose of liberals' gun control policies) and still claim that there are 90 guns per 100 people nationwide.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
"Thats because all the criminals have guns and none of the law abiding citizens have any."

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people | Reuters

You were just being ironic, right?
No he isn't. When you ban guns only the criminals have them. Look at Chicago and DC. Gun bannings are really working, aren't they?

And your statistics you grabbed are flawed as it takes total number of guns and applies it to one gun per person. Second, your key term to focus on is "known" in this sentence:
"U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms"
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Those are stupid statistics for stupid people. Lets see, there were 90 million guns sold and 100 million people, so that would make 9 out of 10 people that have guns. Brilliant deduction eh?