Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   I figure....... (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/9290-i-figure.html)

longride 08-20-2008 10:10 AM

I figure.......

.....that this is about 1/10th the amount that is needed.

General News - Corporal punishment seen rife in U.S. schools

Buzglyd 08-20-2008 10:34 AM

Sounds like a Washington Post story:

"Women and minorities hit hardest."

Har har har!

Kenneth_Moore 08-20-2008 10:38 AM

I've never hit my kid, never felt like I needed to, and doubt I ever will. To me it's like firing your nukes, once you hit him, you've closed off all other options.

longride 08-20-2008 11:31 AM

I'll give you a lend lease on a few kids I know and you will punch their lights out in about an hour. Your kid is young Ken. When the hormones kick in at about 16, I think your view may change.

seruzawa 08-20-2008 11:38 AM

"By exposing these children to disproportionate rates of corporal punishment, schools create a hostile environment in which these students may struggle even more," Farmer said.

Another "expert" who never taught a kid heard from.

If you are worried about unruly kids in school you need look no further than the State agencies that prosecute parents because of false accusations and ridiculously draconian standards of "abuse." Did you know that merely arguing verbally with your spouse in front of the kids is grounds to take your kids? The schools have enthusiastically joined in this assault on the family, set themselves up as parents' judges, and now we see all this pi$$ing and moaning about disciplinary problems in the schools. It's high irony.

sarnali2 08-20-2008 11:40 AM

I swatted my kids on the butt a few times when they were little. The only time I ever slapped them was my youngest who was then 15 and called me a stupid f*ckin a$$hole for making her get off the phone. I felt terrible about it but there's lines you don't cross and that's one of them.

I don't advocate hitting kids in general but a swat on the ass never hurt anyone.

Kenneth_Moore 08-20-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 191836)
I'll give you a lend lease on a few kids I know and you will punch their lights out in about an hour. Your kid is young Ken. When the hormones kick in at about 16, I think your view may change.

You're probably right, but by the time that day comes, he's probably going to be a lot bigger and stronger than me. Is a Tazer considered child abuse?

sarnali2 08-20-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 191839)
You're probably right, but by the time that day comes, he's probably going to be a lot bigger and stronger than me. Is a Tazer considered child abuse?

Doesn't matter Ken, my dad was a lot smaller than me and still kicked my ass once when I called my mom a b*tch, I thought he was at work but I tell ya, when I heard his feet hit the floor I knew I had it coming....

Anyway it's a mental thing, you don't hit your parents even when they're wailing on you, you just cover up and take it.

Kenneth_Moore 08-20-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 191842)
Anyway it's a mental thing, you don't hit your parents even when they're wailing on you, you just cover up and take it.

Ok...good tip...

acecycleins 08-20-2008 01:25 PM

I've spanked my little girl (now 10) once. She crossed the line and in this case a message had to be sent. She was 6 at the time. The same mistake has not been repeated. Occasionally, she has had the Jethro slap to the back of the noggin to re-boot her way of thinking. Not hard, but it jolts her enough to regroup and correct her mistakes or way of thinking. Sending a message to your kids that things are unacceptable I believe is fine. When I was a child I took daily beatings by a step-father that is now roasting in h&ll. I promised myself I would not raise my kid the way I was raised. But I do believe that we as parents are obligated to discipline our kids when they cross the line. We were and we turned out fine. Know the line between abuse and discipline. My step-father didn't. I do.
BTW- I have full time custody of my girl and her Mom live's in S. FL. She misses her mom terribly, but knows that living in ATL with me is a better trade off than living in FL with a mom that's slightly disconnected with the world around her.