Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-26-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
eardison
Registered Member

Default Bike for a big ol boy!

I'm looking to get another bike after not riding for the past 7 years. I know I want a cruiser, as my last bike was a shadow 750 and I love the cruiser style. While it was adequate, my 31YO, 6'5", 265 LB frame kind of made me look like I was riding a kids bicycle. Now that I’m 38, I’m ready for another bike.. Mid life crisis is what my close friends call it. I don’t care though. I want to ride.

So, how about some opinions? Which cruisers would be good choices for me to start shopping?

Last edited by eardison : 02-26-2008 at 06:12 PM.
eardison is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Find a used Valkyrie. Nobody makes that thing look small. You should find a nice one for under 7 grand.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

The Valkyrie's were cool. I'm guessing they stopped making them because they weren't selling...though I used to see a ton of them in AZ.

Too bad Triumph couldn't make their big ass engine as neat looking as the Valkyrie.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eardison View Post
I'm looking to get another bike after not riding for the past 7 years. I know I want a cruiser, as my last bike was a shadow 750 and I love the cruiser style. While it was adequate, my 31YO, 6'5", 265 LB frame kind of make me look like I was riding a kids bicycle. Now that I’m 38, I’m ready for another bike.. Mid life crisis is what my close friends call it. I don’t care though. I want to ride.

So, how about some opinions? Which cruisers would be good choices for me to start shopping?
Valkyrie is a great bike. The Yamaha Royal Star series is equally good. Harley FLT is good to keep on the radar. VTX1800 or Yamaha Roadstar Midnight model.

If you just need to have tire smoking and good handling on a budget- Go for the Triumph Rocket III.

I'm 6' 255lbs and I'm more than comfortable on any of these. When I was working for a local Triumph dealer we sold a bike to a rather famous WWE wrestler that was easily 6'9" or better and weighed in well over the 400lbs mark. He got a Rocket, put Corbin Beetle bags and the Fleetliner screen on it. It looked really good. Now they sell a Tour model, too.

Just depends on budget, buddy. Wanna go cheap buy a Kawasaki VN1600 Vulcan. Want unlimited miles out of a motor- Valk. Want sound- HD or Triumph. Want original- Rocket III.

Your work is cut out for you. If you have insurance questions send me a note and I'll try to guide you.

Welcome to MO. You'll get used to us- eventually
Old 02-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
If you just need to have tire smoking and good handling on a budget- Go for the Triumph Rocket III.
Good call. That bike has enough torque to accelerate a couple 300 pounders!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
eardison
Registered Member

Wow folks, thanks for all the replies thus far. You guys are too kind! As for the price range, I'd like to stay around 6k. I dont want anything financed and I'm comfortable with dropping that amount right now.

I def like the huge, tough looks of the Valkyrie. The Rocket III is also hot, but dosent seem to be quite as big as the Honda. Hmmm..

So, with my two main concerns.. Looks and reliability (well, and fit), it seems there are TONS of choices.

Another question then... All of my previous bikes were purchased from a few friends that didnt mind me checking out the cycle before I bought it. I've never been in a show room and thats the only way I can think of sitting on a bike to decide what make/model I'm most comfortable with... Do dealers let you just waltz in and plop down on a bike?? I dont want to go crazy with test rides, I just want to see how they feel under me. Suggestions??

I sound like a taghwI', but I owned a bike from the time I was about 9 until about 31. Those 7 or 8 years just seem like an eternity.

Last edited by eardison : 02-26-2008 at 08:42 PM.
eardison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

The Valkyrie will give you reliability but is as ugly as Rosie O'Donnell. You can also find used Victories in your price range. A friend got a used one with bags for about that. Nice bike.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Oooh! OOOH! PICK ME!

Why, you should find yourself astraddle the Only Motorcycle worthy of calling-itself as such: a Supercharged BossHoss 502 with Nitrous-Oxide-Injection.

And Chrome. A whole LO-O-O-O-OTTA Chrome!

Full-back Tattoo wouldn't hurt, neither.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
pushrod
Founding Member

Yeah, but just the full-back tatt might cost him most of his $6K budget...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Yeah, but just the full-back tatt might cost him most of his $6K budget...
A piece of 120-grit open-coat and a handful of Bic pens worked for me!
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote