Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-27-2008, 05:52 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eardison View Post
. I've never been in a show room and thats the only way I can think of sitting on a bike to decide what make/model I'm most comfortable with... Do dealers let you just waltz in and plop down on a bike?? I dont want to go crazy with test rides, I just want to see how they feel under me. Suggestions??
The dealers will all be happy to let you sit on the bikes, if you're with a saleshole. They encourage it, it's a sales tool. I can't speak for areas other than South Florida, but recently HD has started encouraging test rides IF you have the M/C endorsement on your DL. The other dealers are less inclined, which is exactly opposite of how things were for many years. However, if there are any bike shows you can attend, the mfgs almost always have demo rides available there.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-27-2008, 06:01 AM   #12
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The Valkyrie will give you reliability but is as ugly as Rosie O'Donnell. You can also find used Victories in your price range. A friend got a used one with bags for about that. Nice bike.
Man, so you hated Beemer's cruiser and the Valkyrie? Crap, am I becoming a dirty, little hippie in my charitable love for unique bikes, or do I just need to drop the beer goggles?

Nah, I'm right and anyone that disagrees with me is a narrow-minded commie liberal/ditto-head neocon. Possibly even racist! How does that make them racist? I have no idea, but if I say it enough times it will be taken as a fact.

(Good lord, does this mean I have a secret lust for Rosie O'Donnell?!)
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 AM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
(Good lord, does this mean I have a secret lust for Rosie O'Donnell?!)

Sick bastard, this is a family site for Chris' sakes....think of the children!!!

Anyway, I'd get a Rocket Three over a Valk. anyday. While the whole Nordic Angel of Death thing is cool the bike it's self is plain butt-ug, not that the Rocket is much better, I just like Triumphs so that would be my choice.

For the record, I'm 6 foot, weigh more than you and am an old and creaky 50, I fit just fine on just about any HD and spend most of my time now on a Superglide with mini-apes and forward controls and am comfortable as can be. I think the deciding factor is if your height is in your legs or your torso, long legs mean your knees will be up around your ears on many bikes so I'd be paying particular attention to leg room...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:12 AM   #14
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Sarnali, never utter the words 'butt ugly' around the Rocket III. Nice enough to ride, but yeeeesh!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #15
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Sarnali, never utter the words 'butt ugly' around the Rocket III. Nice enough to ride, but yeeeesh!
I don't understand how someone can say the Valk is ugly, but like the looks of the Triumph.

I'm a big fan of triumph, but that thing is ugly.

...Not Victory Vision ugly, though.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

True dat. To say the Valk is ugly, but the Rocket isn't is like saying that an elephant is fat, but a hippo isn't. Nothing in this world will approach the hidious Victory Vision though. I thought the Rune was an abortion until I saw the 'Vision' thing in person at the bike show. I wondered out loud if you get a free clown suit with the bike. It drew a few snickers from the crowd. I can't believe that anyone would actually buy one of those things.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I don't think the Rocket looks too bad. The intake side is overdone but the rest of the bike flows together. Aside from the fact it should be a Trident not a Rocket I think they're OK.

Funny thing about the Vision is in person it's a pretty nice looking bike. They had a few different versions at the IMS, plus one that was sans bodywork and tank and I'll tell you, you won't be hearing of frame breakage on THAT one, it's built like a dam* M-1 Abrams under the plastic. All in all it's a pretty cool bike and a nice departure from the Japanese cookie cutters.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Is the Vision on the top of your list of bikes you will never buy??
Old 02-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #19
acecycleins
Founding Member

You can already find used Rocket III for $10k. The bikes are very similar in overall demension. Triumph will let you test ride one if you hold a M class endorsement. Then after your ride you can promptly start looking for a nice used one. They handle great for such a big bike and have great breaks (for a large cruiser). And the power is amazing. You can click the thing into 5th and it will pull like a train from 1500rpm. Unless you have a wind screen on it, you won't ever top out the speed. The thing will do 140mph, maybe more. And, it's a Triumph! You won't see one on every corner. What's the motto: Go your own road or something like it. Get the Triumph "off-road" pipes and sound will not be an issue. I've even seen one turbo'd.
Valks are very cool even if they discontinued the things 4 yrs ago. Tons of stuff available. Easy to maintain. But the Rocket's valve checks are something like 20k. So, maintaining the Rocket won't break the bank, either.
Either way, you make a wise decision base on your riding needs and you're not going to go wrong.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #20
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Rocket III Touring bike is by far better looking than the standard rocket. Probably because it looks a lot like an HD (paint scheme, hardbags, pipes). For some reason all the extra crap on the touring model actually makes it look better.

The Vision Street is better looking than the Vision Tour. But that's like saying Philly white trash have nicer velvet jogging suits than Brooklyn white trash.