Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 12-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default The Bandito Story

I was itching for a new bike lately, and was trying to decide what to get, when it hit me. I was scanning Ebay and there was this really nice 2001 Bandit for sale. The but it now was set at 3500, but I waited it out and got it for 3200. The modifications include a Yosh Slip-On, Ivan's jet kit, JE 11:1 stock bore pistons, Napoleon multi-adjustable mirrors, carbon LED turn signals, case guards, Corbin seat, and custom blue flames painted on the tank.

So I win the auction and I have to go up to Wisconsin, just north of Milwaukee to get it. I was thinking of riding it back the 116 miles, but for once in my life, I made the correct decision to trailer it back, which will be described later.

I get up there early on Saturday to pick it up, and Dan is in the back already with his garage open. He starts apologizing for not having the bike detailed like he wanted. I haven't seen the bike up to this point except for pictures, and it looks fantastic. Really clean. We talked a while about his other bikes, and other bikes I owned, and then he gives me a folder with all the documented service on the bike, dyno charts, original owners manuals, and a CD with the service manual. Nice. I guess the previous owner had a shop install the new pistons because this bike was one of the oil burners that Suzuki had messed up the pistons on. It is well documented on the net about the 2001 and some 2002 Bandits using excessive amounts of oil. The piston install took care of that, and it was done 5000 miles ago on this bike. The bike has just over 16,000 on it. We fired it up and I just took a ride for a couple of blocks to make sure it ran ok, and rode it on the trailer and took off for home.

So here is where my good decision came in. There was a winter storm watch for a large area around Chicago that day, and I got caught in this ice storm that would have stranded me on the bike. The roads became an instant skating rink, and it would have stranded me, dumped me on my ass, or both if I had ridden home. (Shut up Buz!)

I finally got to ride the bike about 15 miles the other day and I'm going to love this thing real quick. The dyno charts show 120 hp and 81 ft lbs, and that feels about right. The jetting is about perfect, with a smooth idle and no real flat spots. I hoisted the front wheel a couple of times and spun the rear tire more than once. I got to hammer it in 3 gears, and it has a nice powerband. I hae to admit that after riding the Busa for the last 2 years, the power wasn't overwhelming, but it probably won't get me sent to jail as quickly either, and it still has plenty of juice for lots of fun. The Yosh pipe has that nice low raspy sound, but it isn't too loud until you hammer it, and then it speaks up nicely. There is a bit of vibration in the bars and pegs, but not anything that is bothersome. Just that little buzzing that lets you know the motor is waking up and ready to kick ass! The only negatives I found so far is a rear tire that is pretty worn and the chain was kinking a bit when I cleaned and lubed it, so I may be looking at a new chain, and will probably replace both sprockets as well, even though they look fine. Overall, I think this bike will make a great commuter/sport tour/playbike for me. I know Sarnali loves his, but I really need more miles to get hooked on this thing. Here is the picture again:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bandit.jpg (71.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg bandit3.jpg (70.0 KB, 19 views)

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Excellent, I like the flame job..very slick. As soon as you mentioned the pistons I figured it was a smoker, mine is just outside the VIN range. Sounds like an excellent deal, I paid $3800 for my '02 S model with 4k on it, now has 19k with no trouble. if you change the chain and sprockets be carefull with the alloy speedo drive, it's attached to the tranny sprocket by an allen screw and breaks easily. They only cost around $10. bucks but it's still a PIA to get them. Other than that it's a two hour job. I have Pilot Roads on mine for the milage and the fairing on the S model makes it my winter bike, in fact I wish I'd have rode it today cause the weathers halfway decent for a change. They are excellent bikes and that a/o cooled motor is the small block of the motorcycle world, you can ride it stock or build the sh*t out of it it just keeps begging for more.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Very nice!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Since it's been an issue of some minor controversy here of late, may I enquire as to your current inventory of motorcycles? There is a Knucklehead, and obviously the Flaming Bandito, what else?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Since it's been an issue of some minor controversy here of late, may I enquire as to your current inventory of motorcycles? There is a Knucklehead, and obviously the Flaming Bandito, what else?
I also have a 2001 E-Glide Classic, as well as a 1982 FLH Shovelhead. The only 'controversy' would be from people that speak out their backside.

Last edited by longride : 12-05-2007 at 12:53 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Sorry Charlie, we'll need a color photo of you holding todays copy of the Chicago Tribune in front of all of "your" bikes before we buy that load o' tripe....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Very nice. I'm sure with "only" 120 hp you won't get into any trouble.

Cornfields beware!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Dude, tell em what it was like to ride the Knuck. I won't tell em about needing a new tube of grip glue though!
Old 12-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

Nice Bandit. Funny that someone took the time to put flames on it. Looks good, though. Spoon on some ne Pirellis and with your new chain you should find endless days of fun with her in the Spring. Congrats on the buy.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Dude, tell em what it was like to ride the Knuck. I won't tell em about needing a new tube of grip glue though!
Well it was accelerating so hard I almost pulled the grips off!

You know I'm a young Michael Douglas on steroids.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote