Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I always wore a helmet riding dirt bikes. When I got out of the Navy and started ridng street bikes in '79 I didn't bother wearing one and no one I rode with wore one. The worst thing about it was my hair would get tangled so bad no matter what I did until my wife started braiding it for me, in the winter I just wore a watch cap and goggles.

A couple of things happened in the mid 80's that changed my mind, one I got the K 100 RS and sold the Harleys, then one of my close friends got crippled from a low speed head injury, another one got killed flipping a dirt bike and landing on his head and finally, Washington started talking about and then passing a helmet law so that was that. Since that time I've got used to wearing full face Shoei's and find that I'm much more comfortable with then without in most cases to the point that if they ever repealed the law I'd still wear a helmet about 99% of the time.

I suppose if I had to come down one way or the other I'd say I agreed with helmet laws, people that are dead set against them can wear the little DOT beanies and have the same wind in the face feeling as without but for myself, I'd rather have the protection for my chin and face that a full face lid provides.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 08-06-2007 at 08:25 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #12
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default Nom de Plume

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
I always wear a helmet. Period. In places like Arizona and Nevada, it's actually cooler to wear a helmet than it is to ride without it once the temp gets up over 100, so I don't buy the "it's too hot" claim.

But then I'm a stickler that way.
Just curious, why are you the "Safety Queen?"
Old 08-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
Gritboy
Founding Member

Just do a high side or endo and you'll know why a helmet's a lifesaver. I live to ride, but I also ride to LIVE.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #14
acecycleins
Founding Member

I have only one complaint about helmet laws: Medical bills. I wreck a bike and it is my fault I am forced to pay my own bills. That should be true for ANY motorcyclist that goes down without a helmet. Joe Taxpayer should not foot the bill! Other than that, I could care less. I've given up on the whole subject of helmet laws, tiering, training- the whole lot of it. Just don't make me pay for someone else's stupidity.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #15
SuperBill
Founding Member

Weekend before last I went riding with two friends. Two days on sportbikes in the Berkshires, Catskills and Adirondacks. Rode as hard and fast as conditions would allow. Full leathers, full-face helmets, armored gloves, motorcycle-specific boots.

Yesterday afternoon I went for a putt through the countryside on my old BMW with my bride (and riding partner) of 32 years on the back. Never got over 45 mph on lightly traveled country roads. Blue jeans, polo shirt, Wellington boots, light black gloves, cool-looking shades, no helmet.

I could have significantly increased my safety this weekend by wearing the same gear I did the weekend before. I could have significantly improved my safety the weekend before by taking a car instead of a bike. In both cases, I traded safety for the joy I get from motorcycling, and chose the gear I felt appropriate for the occasion.

Motorcycles are dangerous. It is not possible to “ride safe.” I choose to ride. I choose my level of protective gear when I ride. Can’t think of anything wrong with that.

Bill
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #16
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

I understand why other riders don't wear a helmet. I don't think it's very smart, but it's your life, not mine. The way I see it, no matter how good a rider you are, a cage can still do something stupid and cause you to crash. So I wear all the gear, all the time. Leather or mesh, depending on the heat.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Don't stop there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
I have only one complaint about helmet laws: Medical bills. I wreck a bike and it is my fault I am forced to pay my own bills. That should be true for ANY motorcyclist that goes down without a helmet. Joe Taxpayer should not foot the bill! Other than that, I could care less. I've given up on the whole subject of helmet laws, tiering, training- the whole lot of it. Just don't make me pay for someone else's stupidity.
...skiers, bicyclists, pedestrians, hikers, kids playing sports, people using swimming pools, surfers.... we could go on and on and on. All these are dangerous activities and anyone being hurt doing these things should be denied taxpayer funded medical care, even though they are paying the "premiums". Yeah, that's the ticket. People being taxed to death and when they get hurt deny them any treatment. We can save lots of money that way! Just hire a couple of guys and a wheelbarrow to haul the bodies away to the landfill. That'll result in lower taxes and premiums you bet!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #18
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

And some will say (not I) that you are stupid for not wearing leather at all times as mesh is less "safe"/durable.

And that is where legislation gets sticky. At what point does it stop. If helmets are now mandatory throughout the country and a study comes out later that states riders are safer if wearing all leather gear, does that than become the next item that is debated? Will the insurance companies use that as an excuse to raise rates because uninsured riders wrecked and had a larger than needed bill due to the fact they weren't wearing leathers?

History tells us “yes”.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:57 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Default It's amazing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowningBAR View Post
And some will say (not I) that you are stupid for not wearing leather at all times as mesh is less "safe"/durable.

And that is where legislation gets sticky. At what point does it stop. If helmets are now mandatory throughout the country and a study comes out later that states riders are safer if wearing all leather gear, does that than become the next item that is debated? Will the insurance companies use that as an excuse to raise rates because uninsured riders wrecked and had a larger than needed bill due to the fact they weren't wearing leathers?

History tells us “yes”.
... how few people understand the "letting the camel's nose in the tent" phenomenon. They spend myriad hours arguing the pros and cons of nanny state legislation completely ignoring that the goal of the nannies is total control of thought and behavior from cradle to grave and issues such as this is just another brick put in the wall. They immediately demand more every time. "compromise" comes to mean that those who want to be left alone have to cave in. It's always one way "compromise" with the fascisti always gaining more.

You don't negotiate with such. You destroy them.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #20
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You don't negotiate with such. You destroy them.

F*CKIN' A, GOD DAM RIGHT START THE REVOLUTION POWER TO THE PEOPLE RIGHT ON F*CK THE PIGS KILL A COMMIE FOR CHRIST BURN IT ALL KILL THE WHITE MAN.....(ummm, hold up on that one,,,)HANOI JANE WAS RIGHT SO WAS THE ASSA-HOLA..WE ARE THE GREAT SATANS AFTER ALL SUPPORT FIRST STRIKE WE START BOMBING IN 5 MINUTES..(oh was this mike on? tee hee)UMMM...YEAH POWER TO THE PEOPLE THE SLA HAS SPOKEN.....

jeezuss, where's the beer, this riot incitin' is thirsty work ....................

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote