Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Harley kicks butt in a down market

I love the part about expanding in the youth, women, and minorities market.

Remember when the doomsayers were saying the exact opposite and that Harley needed to make a "proper sport bike?"

HARLEY-DAVIDSON GETS ITS MOTOR RUNNING Page 1 of 3 | UTSanDiego.com
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
schizuki
Founding Member

They need a sport bike. But not the Buell XB. It doesn't count. It's got a tractor engine. They need a sportbike with a liquid cooled engine. But not the Buell 1125R. Because something.

And they need to ignore their reactionary customers and make liquid-cooled cruisers. But not the V-Rod. That doesn't count. Because something.

And they need to get a younger customer demo so they can kick ass like BMW. Which has an older customer demo. And the younger demo Harley's grabbing doesn't count. Because something.

They basically need to do exactly what I suggest, unless they're already doing that, in which case it doesn't count. Because something.

Look, Harley sucks, OK?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'm on my 8th one, you don't have to tell ME how much they suck, pure hype and junk!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Dildell can KMA. F*** Dildell for screwing the Buell employees. This sweetheart article makes no mention of the fact that Bombardier offered to buy Buell. I bought a new HD back in 1985. I'll never make that mistake again.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Far from an expert.

A lot of basic business stuff here. At least the parasitic unions made some concessions. Marketing demographics definitely are a factor but world wide market awareness makes more sense. I can definitely see the appeal. Personally I haven't seen the Harley I would spend my hard earned fiat currency on. But as we all know when it comes to motorcycles, cars, wine and women all you need to know is what you like. The appeal of modern motorcycling to me is the use of 21st. Century materials and technology combined with classic geometry and styling. I love Brembo brakes and modern tires. Like most CEO types Wendell needs to act like he knows what he's doing. Some people can be successful in spite of their ineptitude. There is nothing wrong with HD motorcycles. Let's hope the company keeps the that way.

Last edited by jmdonald : 06-19-2013 at 08:44 PM.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

They're doing pretty good now fer' sure. The funny thing is Harley Davidson has always been innovative, for example my 1980 Electra Glide had front and rear disc brakes and electronic ignition with integrated fairing and saddlebags while the majority of the Japanese bikes were still on rear drums and points with aftermarket windshields and bags. I believe only Triumph and BMW offered factory installed components prior to that.

HD has had EFI with no BMW-like surging issues since the 90's, antilock Brembos and throttle by wire since '08 air adjustable suspension, and the first working anti-dive front end back in the 30's with the original springer.

The styling tends to be older because that's wbat appeals to their demographic but they're every bit as modern as anything else out there, a fact proven time and again by Japan Inc's relentless attempts to copy them right down to the tail light shape.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
they're every bit as modern as anything else out there, a fact proven time and again by Japan Inc's relentless attempts to copy them right down to the tail light shape.
So how do you explain the enormous CA-CLUNK that sends a teeth-rattling bash through the bike and rider every time an HD is put in gear? Would that be "nostalgia?"

I heard a funny one up in NC on the topic. An "expert" was explaining how the Twin-Cam "B" model, with the balance shaft, had to be re-engineered after the initial release because the engine didn't vibrate enough to allow the shifter to work right.

You can't make this **** up....
Old 06-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

The Clunk is on purpose because that's what their demographic wants. Do you really believe they couldn't figure out how to align a set of gears? Try popping your Honda into first when it's cold.

I agree it's stupid to engineer in "flaws" but that's what the nostalgia crowd wants and they pay good money to get it, the Japanese have done the same thing in their copy cat bikes. Go take a 2013 model Harley for a test drive then tell us what a piece of sh*t it is. Conversely if your basing your opinion on a Shovelhead or Evo, then take an similar model year Japanese bike for a spin and see how "modern" it feels.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
The Clunk is on purpose because that's what their demographic wants. Do you really believe they couldn't figure out how to align a set of gears? Try popping your Honda into first when it's cold.

I agree it's stupid to engineer in "flaws" but that's what the nostalgia crowd wants and they pay good money to get it, the Japanese have done the same thing in their copy cat bikes. Go take a 2013 model Harley for a test drive then tell us what a piece of sh*t it is. Conversely if your basing your opinion on a Shovelhead or Evo, then take an similar model year Japanese bike for a spin and see how "modern" it feels.
Not only is he an aging cafe' racer but apparently an angry Harley guy too. Maybe HOG membership is just around the corner.

Last edited by seruzawa : 06-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Not only is he an aging cafe' racer but apparently an angry Harley guy too. Maybe HOG membership is just around the corner.
Not angry, just picking the fly sh*t out of the pepper. I like Harley because they're fun to ride, plenty of other nice bikes out there too, even those oil leaking Triumphs. Harleys just seem to get under your skin, like a big stupid dog that follows you around and slobbers all over you, you can't help but like the SOB.

As you know I have a group of close friends I ride with. You could gather a few likely suspects and start a Utah chapter if you wish, your DD214 qualifies you.