Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 03-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
Glad to see they call it an engine not a motor. It looks well done. I wish them luck.
That mis-use of motor vs. engine has always annoyed me too. "The Motor Company?" Wrong.

I get the same fingernails on chalkboard feeling when someone says they "drove" their motorcycle.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Ask a premium, discount the hell out of them then file bankrupcy and bail with the investors and suckers money....

Pretty much par for the course with the new iterations of "Indian" vs1,2,3,4,ad nauseam
I dunno, Polaris hasn't missed a step yet. Even that gawdawful "Vision" paid off by providing a platform for several other less-stupid looking touring bikes that have sold well.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
That mis-use of motor vs. engine has always annoyed me too. "The Motor Company?" Wrong.

I get the same fingernails on chalkboard feeling when someone says they "drove" their motorcycle.
So when are you picking up your new Honda Enginecycle?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Glad to see they call it an engine not a motor. It looks well done. I wish them luck.
If Darrell Waltrip screams, "The 48 is all ate up with engine!" It just doesn't sound the same.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
So when are you picking up your new Honda Enginecycle?
This afternoon around three if I get my chores done. Perfect timing too, we have 70 degrees and sunny skies. Perfect for breaking on an air cooled motor. I mean engine. I mean motorbike. I mean MoFocycle.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default It's all kind of goofy. Frame of reference colloquialism.

Quote:
If Darrell Waltrip screams, "The 48 is all ate up with engine!" It just doesn't sound the same.
You are right. It does sound funny. While colloquially interchanged, there is a difference between a motor and an engine. In common usage, an engine burns or otherwise consumes fuel, and is differentiated from an electric motor that derives power without changing the composition of matter. Another way of looking at it is that a motor receives power from an external source, and then converts it into mechanical energy, while an engine creates power from pressure (derived directly from the explosive force of combustion or other chemical reaction, or secondarily from the action of some such force on other substances such as air, water, or steam). When an engine is being observed as an independent entity it is then proper to refer to it as an engine. As in not part of the encompassing machine. I would like to take credit for all data referenced here but I freely admit to copying some of it.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
You are right. It does sound funny. While colloquially interchanged, there is a difference between a motor and an engine. In common usage, an engine burns or otherwise consumes fuel, and is differentiated from an electric motor that derives power without changing the composition of matter. Another way of looking at it is that a motor receives power from an external source, and then converts it into mechanical energy, while an engine creates power from pressure (derived directly from the explosive force of combustion or other chemical reaction, or secondarily from the action of some such force on other substances such as air, water, or steam). When an engine is being observed as an independent entity it is then proper to refer to it as an engine. As in not part of the encompassing machine. I would like to take credit for all data referenced here but I freely admit to copying some of it.
Perhaps motor is short for motorized.

Either way, my BMW is all ate up with motor!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #18
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Perhaps motor is short for motorized.

Either way, my BMW is all ate up with motor!
No, your nice motor is all ate up with BMW.

Sure wish they'd make a "sport" version of that 6. I couldn't afford it, but I'd love to see it released into the wild.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
You are right. It does sound funny. While colloquially interchanged, there is a difference between a motor and an engine. In common usage, an engine burns or otherwise consumes fuel, and is differentiated from an electric motor that derives power without changing the composition of matter.
I sorta understood the difference, but this is a very good explanation. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
No, your nice motor is all ate up with BMW.

Sure wish they'd make a "sport" version of that 6. I couldn't afford it, but I'd love to see it released into the wild.
I'd love to as well but I don't think you every will. It would take a mighty feat of engineering to hide all the plumbing to make it acceptable as a naked bike.

And then naked bikes don't sell all that well.

The sound is intoxicating. There is nothing like it.