Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 02-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Russian meteor strike

Thank God for Russian dash cams:

Meteor video.

Initial reports of dramatic breaking stories are notoriously faulty. Reports are the Russians hit it with an ABM. If they have that technology, a lot of defense experts are going to wake up surprised this morning. Even if they hit it, I doubt an ABM, which has just enough warhead to blow up a fairly fragile missile, would put a dent in a nickel-iron meteor. My guess is they shot at it, but it broke up on its own as meteors often do just before they hit the ground as their rocky crust heats and shatters.

I was driving home at night once when I saw a streak across the sky and a sparkly burst. Same behavior as you see in this video, at a much smaller scale.

I have no doubt the Russians will puff up their chests for a while, but I'm calling bullshytsky.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of asteroid and meteor acitivty lately? There's this video, which looks like something straight out of the movies, there's the asteroid that'll be inside of geosynchronous orbit later today, we just had another huge asteroid pass between Earth and the Moon a month or so ago.

Seems to me we need to take the "Extinction Level Event" threat seriously or we may find ourselves joining the dinosaurs.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Meteors generally come in much faster than any pissant ICBM. You really gotta respect a kinetic energy weapon that can outdo the best that any human produced thermonuclear weapon can achieve. Any ABMs the Russians have would be deployed around Moscow or St Petersburg, not in the sticks around the Urals. (Damm, doesn't it feel great to say "St Petersburg" instead of "Leningrad"? Makes Obama and his lackeys sad though.)

It wasn't a meteor though. It was an advance probe from Niburu testing our defenses. Armageddon is soon to follow. (Yada yada. The nuts were out in force on the radio last night.)
Old 02-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Meteors generally come in much faster than any pissant ICBM. You really gotta respect a kinetic energy weapon that can outdo the best that any human produced thermonuclear weapon can achieve.
It amazes me that something basically smaller than a grain of sand on a basketball can wipe out most life on Earth. And by "amazes" I mean "terrifies."

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Seems to me we need to take the "Extinction Level Event" threat seriously or we may find ourselves joining the dinosaurs.
Agreed. This is not hysterical doomscreaming. It has happened before and will happen again.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
schizuki
Founding Member

BTW, the vast majority of the injuries were from broken glass. People saw a flash outside, went to their windows, marveled at the contrail, then got a faceful of shattered glass when the sonic boom hit seconds later. So if you see something like that, stay away from the windows for thirty seconds or so.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
BTW, the vast majority of the injuries were from broken glass. People saw a flash outside, went to their windows, marveled at the contrail, then got a faceful of shattered glass when the sonic boom hit seconds later. So if you see something like that, stay away from the windows for thirty seconds or so.
Thank you, Mr. 'Armchair Quarterback!"

I agree completely, but no one would think of that. Those images were awesome on TV, from a cellphone or dashcam video. Can you imagine what the spectacle was like in the impact area?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default I.D.

This incident has been identified as unnecessary evil act Omega 91. They don't even have to have a reason.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Thank you, Mr. 'Armchair Quarterback!"

I agree completely, but no one would think of that.
Have you never heard of "Duck and Cover"?

It's always been fashionable to mock those spots, but it's valuable advice. If you see an out-of-the-blue flash, stay the hell down for a bit.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
The Spaceman
Registered Member

This is a fairly regular event in Russia. Today's was a "shrug it off and get back to work" level event compared to the last one:

Tunguska event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia