Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Tesla trouble report a fake I tell you. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/20836-tesla-trouble-report-fake-i-tell-you.html)

jmdonald 02-12-2013 07:43 AM

Tesla trouble report a fake I tell you.

The New York Times is kicking Tesla to the curb.

NYT's Tesla Model S trouble report is "fake," says Elon Musk [UPDATE]

pushrod 02-12-2013 07:54 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys have 240VAC power at your house?

The quick chargers use either 220 or 240; I don't think my neighborhood is wired for 3 phase power, let alone my house.

Buzglyd 02-12-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 280113)

The quick chargers use either 220 or 240; I don't think my neighborhood is wired for 3 phase power, let alone my house.

I've got 220 at my house and my condo.

They are both in the same neighborhood.

The_AirHawk 02-12-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 280113)

Most residential homes are wired with 220v single-phase service (110v on each phase, across two-phases. Yes, that is still referred-to as "single-phase 220v") in a 100-amp or 200-amp service-panel. You have 3-phase power going to your neighborhood - via the branch-feeder - which may vary anywhere from ~7500v to 30,000v, depending on where you live and the way your Utility handles your distribution. You may receive phase "A" and "B", your neighbor to one side gets phase "A" and "C", and the neighbor to the other side phase "B" and "C", and so-on.

That's another reason why sometimes parts of a neighborhood can lose power, and parts retain it for awhile - although that phase-load-imbalance usually results in a cascade-failure of the rest of the grid supplying that branch, and eventually everybody "loses" power.

The Spaceman 02-13-2013 05:47 AM

Perfect Thread Title

Luckily the Tesla cars have a data logging system. They did a dump on it and found that the guy simply ran out the charge by taking side trips and failing to plug it in to charge overnight. Musk said "if you run a gas car out of fuel, who's fault is that?"

In their rebuttal to Musk's comments, the Times said "The bottom line is that you can't treat an electric car the same way you do a gas car." F'ing geniuses, they are.

The Spaceman 02-14-2013 01:19 PM

Wow the data logs on the "S" show even more than just careless handling of the car's charging:

"Elon Musk, the chief executive of the Tesla car company, strongly disagrees about what happened. In a blog post Wednesday night, he used the driving logs to state that Mr. Broder misrepresented what happened on the test drive.
“Our Model S never had a chance with John Broder,” he wrote

Mr. Musk said that, along the way, Mr. Broder unplugged the car before it was fully charged, drove faster than he claimed and drove around in circles to deliberately run down the battery.

And, he added, “He simply did not accurately capture what happened and worked very hard to force our car to stop running.” Mr. Musk released screen shots of the car driving logs to reinforce his points."

sarnali2 02-14-2013 01:27 PM

Sounds like he got some 'splainin to do....

jmdonald 02-14-2013 02:33 PM

To little

Mr. Musk is not all he's cracked up to be. The car isn't either.

Electric Lemon Aid | Eric Peters Autos

seruzawa 02-14-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 280177)
Mr. Musk is not all he's cracked up to be. The car isn't either.

Electric Lemon Aid | Eric Peters Autos

These e-car manufacturers and promoters have simply been lying all along. They, and the lackeys who push their fraudulent products, belong in jail. Looks like Obama is as good at picking winners as the rest of the govt fools who keep "investing" our money.

The_AirHawk 02-15-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 280182)
These e-car manufacturers and promoters have simply been lying all along. They, and the lackeys who push their fraudulent products, belong in jail. Looks like Obama is as good at picking winners as the rest of the govt fools who keep "investing" our money.

How Dare you mock our Messiah, suh! I shall endeavor to meet you upon the Field of Honor come the Dawn!