Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Default The "Big E"

Has been retired. The first nuclear-powered carrier has left active duty.

The end of an era: the carrier USS Enterprise sails into history after a half-century at sea | TIME.com

She spent 50 years on the sea, and over 100,000 sailors served on her. Now she's being cannabalized for parts; what's left will be "deactivated," which I guess means the hulk will be left to rust away. A new "Enterprise" carrier is scheduled to sail in 2025.

IIRC, there were at few guys here who served on that ship, including, I think, Cuddy.

Last edited by The Spaceman : 01-07-2013 at 05:36 AM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

I don't know of anyone that served on Enterprise, but there are several of us that spent time on other 'Bird Farms.'

She'll be parked next to a couple other Supercarriers in Bremerton (Independence, and Ranger (I think)), until someday they haul her off to cut her into little tiny pieces.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Independence, Ranger and Kitty Hawk are at PSNSY, The Lincoln was there for a basic Yard period......

Commies, Islamists, Algore and other Anti- Americans dissregard the above...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I had a 40"-long model of Enterprise that I built when I was 8 or so. That thing was impressive as hell, just in plastic. Of course, my moving-out somehow resulted in the loss of it. I wish I could have seen her (the real ship) in-action; always wanted to. Now, no more.

Slated or otherwise, I daresay you will likely not see CVN-80 Enterprise ever set-sail. I will be amazed if the JFK ever makes it to the water, with the current attitudes in Congress about Military Spending.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Sad day

It is sad to see the Enterprise decommissioned. The Midway is now a floating Museum in San Diego. It is well worth the trip if any of you guys care to make it. The last time I was there the USS Ronald Reagan was in for re-supply across the bay. I always wanted to be a sea scout.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
It is sad to see the Enterprise decommissioned. The Midway is now a floating Museum in San Diego. It is well worth the trip if any of you guys care to make it. The last time I was there the USS Ronald Reagan was in for re-supply across the bay. I always wanted to be a sea scout.
I've done the Midway tour twice. It's tiny compared to the new carriers.

I love taking my boat in the bay. You never know what you might see.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Carriers are great ships but also they are HORRIBLE duty stations. Extra-long deployments. And when you do finally go on liberty so do about 3000 other guys with 3-4 months pay burning holes in their pockets. I'll take a cruiser or destroyer any day over those bird farms.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Carriers are great ships but also they are HORRIBLE duty stations. Extra-long deployments. And when you do finally go on liberty so do about 3000 other guys with 3-4 months pay burning holes in their pockets. I'll take a cruiser or destroyer any day over those bird farms.
Right about that, one of the reasons I got out when I did was that the Career Counselor couldn't guarentee in writing that I'd get a Can or Frigate if I shipped over, only the usual "needs of the Navy" blather which meant as a BT3 with catapult steam experiance I'd bounce from one carrier to the next on the East coast, West coast and Japan.

Since BT was an At-Sea rating there'd be no shore duty which was OK, and I didn't mind one enlistment on a carrier but not my whole career.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Hell yeah. I think one of the modern frigates and destroyers with the gas-turbine engines that can run 35+ knots would be the schiznit to crew on. I'd like to be on one in a Caine Mutiny-sized typhoon and do some wave jumping on one.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
pushrod
Founding Member

That wave-jumping is highly overrated!

My stateroom was almost all the way forward on the Submarine Rescue ship I was on. I spent many hours in my rack with the mattress slid halfway out and folded up, and my arm underneath it so I wouldn't get thrown out. Sometimes it was so bad, I took my pillow back aft to the compressor room, and slept on the deck. It was hard, but it didn't try to catapult me.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote