Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Jeez. A website called "thinkprogress" is obviously going to do nothing but spread left wing propaganda so everything on it can be safely ignored as lies. I've yet to see any progressive ever tell the truth about anything.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Think progress is more oxymoronic than jumbo shrimp.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
So are you for or against subsidies?
This is going to confuse the **** out of you, but the answer is both:

I'm FOR subsiziding new technologies that have an end-goal I find desireable. E-vehicles, space travel are two of them.

I'm AGAINST subsidizing established, profitable industries who only get those subsidies because they have lobbyists paying off politicians.

Last edited by The Spaceman : 01-02-2013 at 08:30 AM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
This is going to confuse the **** out of you, but the answer is both:

I'm FOR subsiziding new technologies that have an end-goal I find desireable. E-vehicles, space travel are two of them.

I'm AGAINST subsidizing established, profitable industries who only get those subsidies because they have lobbyists paying off politicians.
I'm for ethanol!

We can grow our own fuel!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
I'm for ethanol!

We can grow our own fuel!

Forget it, we need the corn for tortilla shells. I vote for shallow water off shore oil rigs, that way you have something cool to look at when your at the beach instead of some fat guy in a banana hammock with a metal detector

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Ken loves him.

He is what libs call a "capitalist."

The future indeed.
cap·i·tal·ist/ˈkæp ɪ tl ɪst/ Show Spelled [kap-i-tl-ist] Show IPA
noun
1. a person who has capital, especially extensive capital, invested in business enterprises.
2. an advocate of capitalism.
3. a very wealthy person.

I'd say Mr. Musk is 3 for 3.

Maybe if he was making coal-fired steam cars you'd like him better. Nothing more scary than something new and different, right? And we all know that "Climate Change" is just a liberal plot to wrest SUVs from the hands of God-Fearing Christian Motorists...so who needs people like Musk anyway?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Spade a Spade

Quote:
cap·i·tal·ist/ˈkæp ɪ tl ɪst/ Show Spelled [kap-i-tl-ist] Show IPA
noun
1. a person who has capital, especially extensive capital, invested in business enterprises.
2. an advocate of capitalism.
3. a very wealthy person.

I'd say Mr. Musk is 3 for 3.

Maybe if he was making coal-fired steam cars you'd like him better. Nothing more scary than something new and different, right? And we all know that "Climate Change" is just a liberal plot to wrest SUVs from the hands of God-Fearing Christian Motorists...so who needs people like Musk anyway?

Crony capitalism is a term describing an economy in which success in business depends on close relationships between business people and government officials. It may be exhibited by favoritism in the distribution of legal permits, government grants, special tax breaks, or other forms of dirigisme.[1] Crony capitalism is believed to arise when political cronyism spills over into the business world; self-serving friendships and family ties between businessmen and the government influence the economy and society to the extent that it corrupts public-serving economic and political ideals. This describes Mr. Musk does it not?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
Crony capitalism is believed to arise when political cronyism spills over into the business world; self-serving friendships and family ties between businessmen and the government influence the economy and society to the extent that it corrupts public-serving economic and political ideals. This describes Mr. Musk does it not?
I don't think there is any evidence that Mr. Musk has made political contributions, lobbyists, or even "insider" relationships with Washington that are getting him special attention. In fact, what I've read is quite the opposite, that in both his space and car ventures he's gone up against established players like GM, Lockheed, USBI, etc. and won in spite of not having "crony" relationships.

I know you don't agree, but I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the goverment spending my tax dollars to help develop new technologies. I think it's a perfectly legitmate government function; it's been done for ages, and it's worked in other industries. And the $450M that Musk got is chump-change; the cost of one lousy Raptor fighter jet. If he can build a successful e-car company with that, I say more power to him.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
I don't think there is any evidence that Mr. Musk has made political contributions, lobbyists, or even "insider" relationships with Washington that are getting him special attention. In fact, what I've read is quite the opposite, that in both his space and car ventures he's gone up against established players like GM, Lockheed, USBI, etc. and won in spite of not having "crony" relationships.

I know you don't agree, but I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the goverment spending my tax dollars to help develop new technologies. I think it's a perfectly legitmate government function; it's been done for ages, and it's worked in other industries. And the $450M that Musk got is chump-change; the cost of one lousy Raptor fighter jet. If he can build a successful e-car company with that, I say more power to him.

Everything you've read is way different from EVERYTHING.

Carney: Green stimulus profiteer [Elon Musk] comes under IRS scrutiny
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #20
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Everything you've read is way different from EVERYTHING.

Carney: Green stimulus profiteer [Elon Musk] comes under IRS scrutiny
Great source there: "Free Republic is a moderated Internet forum for activists, and chat site for self-described conservatives, primarily within the United States.[2] It presents articles and comments posted pseudonymously by registered members, known as "Freepers",[3] using screen names."

From your article:

"no government body has accused SolarCity of wrongdoing,"

How long have you been a Freeper?

Last edited by The Spaceman : 01-04-2013 at 06:54 AM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote