Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Seattle IMS

Went to the show saturday as planned, started raining about halfway there as was forcast. Last year and this year it's in the Washington State Trade and Convention center instead of the Qwest Field Exhibition Center. This sucks for two reasons, One, the Convention center is downtown and a PIA to get too and Two there's no dedicated M/C parking area, so you're spread out over three or four convoluted levels of underground parking without a clue as to where to go. At Qwest Field you pull off the freeway, down a ramp and into the parking area with a whole floor dedicated to bike parking, a much better set-up IMO..

That quibble aside it was a pretty good time as usual, the CB1100 Honda is as cool in person as it is in photos, the blacked out stripped down Goldwing nee Road Glide was surprisingly cool looking and that's high praise from me who still supports the "Better a sister in a cathouse than a brother on a Honda" mindset.

The new Triumph Trophy looks like a winner with all the techno bells and whistles the Sport Touring class requires these days, nice heated seat and grips, clean if bulky overall design, huge trunk and wobbley saddlebags. I guess the idea is it cuts down on bike buffeting by allowing the saddlebags to float on their mounts. Just remember to put the beer and milk in the trunk on your trip to the grocery store or you'll have a gallon of half curdled butter and a bunch of exploding beer bottles.

No water cooling on the R type Beemmers that I could discern unless the plumbing is internal. There was a huge oil cooler on the RT which in theory could have been a radiator but there was no big signs or literature which you'd expect in a ground breaking design (for BMW anyway.)

Harley-Davidson was well represented as usual with a number of bike sporting the Factory Custom paint schemes, These are flawless paint jobs that really have to be seen to be believed and at a very fair price too, you basically order your bike out of their catalog, they squirt and polish it up to a high luster and ship it to your dealer of choice. I'd be afraid to ride one outside, honestly they're that nice.

Other than that the usual Ducati Heroin Chic Hotties were there, a pretty good representation of European and Japanese bike manufacturers and aftermarket parts and riding gear from local shops, of note was the totally B*tchin' Morgan Three-Wheeler that would look kool in my garage, a couple of pretty cool Can-Am's and a bunch of choppers and bobbers on display if you care for that sort of thing (sniff). Mr Daytona, Scotty Russell was there mumbling about some bullsh*t a bunch of nice looking proggressive Insurance gals were there handing out freebies.. Not Flo unfortunatly, they all dressed like her though.

After the show it was off to the Pyramid Brewhouse for a burger n beer lunch then a pretty tough slog home through a 35 degree torrential rain. My 'Stitch, Hippo Hands and HD leg shields kept most of it off but honestly it was about as crappy as I care to ride in and on a crowded I-5 to boot. My trusty Heritige Softy handled it with aplomb though, never missing a beat and handling the pools of standing water and road spray with nary a slip. Once I got off the freeway and back in the toolies where I live I was able to relax a little but that was one truly nasty ride. A great day though looking at bikes with good friends is always fun. Sorry no pictures but I suck at that sort of thing so I'm sure there's plenty of them elswhere you can look at.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Sounds Good

The last time I rode in anything other than good weather was in High School. Even with all that gear it must have been a tough ride. My understanding is that the rest of the R bikes will eventually get the liquid cooled engine. It is nice to see most of what's available in one place. The value of these shows is more than just having a place to go. Sounds like they had the same stuff they had in Long Beach. No matter where the Ducati Chicks go. There they are.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I forgot to mention, one glaring fault I noticed was on the Triumph Scrambler. They had the rear caliper mounted on the bottom of the disc, this is questionable even on the T100 or standard Bonnie but on a bike with psuedo off-road pretensions it's pretty foolish. It wouldn't take much of a knock to turn that into expensive scrap dangling from the brake line.

A shame really because I love Triumph in general and the new Scrambler and all Bonnies in particular. I'd look into relocating it if I could, other than that a cool bike and one I'd happily place in my garage.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Remember when MO would do a little "hotties" section at all these events? I guess even motorcyclists are supposed to be in tune with their metrosexual sensitivities now. Don't want to upset the people who never access the site, y'know.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
No water cooling on the R type Beemmers that I could discern unless the plumbing is internal. There was a huge oil cooler on the RT which in theory could have been a radiator but there was no big signs or literature which you'd expect in a ground breaking design (for BMW anyway.)
IIRC, I think I read somewhere that there are channels around the heads that the coolant flows through. Which would make it a, what? "Jughead"?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Nice report Sarnali. Good for you not letting the weather keep you off the bike. I've only ridden once in sub-40 wet weather (coming home from Bike Week 5-6 years ago) and frankly I hope I never do again. It was the second worst 4 hours I've ever spent.

It almost sounds like you were sad Flo wasn't there. I was told by a model working the Progressive booth at Daytona that she is the highest-paid commercial spokesperson in the world. She deserves it; can you imagine going around in public having people yelling "It's Flo, it's Flo, LOOK, it's FLO!!!" your whole life?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

It would have been a funny twist if she was, nothing more than that.

Generally speaking it's all down to your riding gear as far as crap weather is concerned. If you can stay dry you can usually stay warm, especially your extrematies. If your hands and feet get cold then blood will flow there trying to warm them, that lowers your core temp and you get cold. If you get wet and cold enough you get hypothermic, your reactions slow, attention drifts and you wind up in a very bad place.

Just because of the weather patterns here I ride in crappy weather way more than nice really, not because I'm trying to prove anything, I just love to ride. We have about a 3 month window of warm or even "hot" weather and that's it, the rest of the year is mid-upper 50's and chance of rain to low 40's and chance of rain. The paradox is if it clears up in the winter and you have a nice sunny day it's going to be in the teens and 20's over night, plus the sun is so low on the horizon it's in your eyes every where you go.

Just the way it is I'm afraid and I prefer cooler cloudy low humidity weather anyway so it's well suited for me. If I lived somewhere hot and sunny and humid all the time I'd be pretty miserable. Different strokes etc...