Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Default December 7

Today is, of course, Pearl Harbor Day. Perhaps not the anniversary it once was, as the decades pass and the political landscapes change.

It's also the anniversary of the launch of the last flight to the Moon, Apollo 17. That was a very cool launch, it was the only Saturn V nighttime launch. It was like daybreak at 10:00 pm; birds woke up, fish started jumping in the Indian River, and you could read the newspaper outside from the light the rocket put out.

If you'd like to be the next human on the Moon and you have a spare $1.4 billion bucks laying around (Buzzy?), you're in luck!
Golden Spike company to take tourists to the moon

Last edited by The Spaceman : 12-07-2012 at 08:23 AM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

If man was meant to be on the moon he'd be all green with antennas sticking out of his head........

Ditto on Pearl Harbor Day. There's a few Rememberance Ceremonies around the area owing to the large Naval presence here and large military presence in general. Other than that and a byline in the local Tacoma fishwrapper about another Pearl harbor vet checking out there doesn't seem to be much. Sad really given it's significance, it appears it's more important that Gays can get married now and cook a blunt in celebration.

I have a sticker on my bike that reads

"Veterans-Protecting the rights of ungrateful a$$holes for over 200 years"

Seems so appropriate some days.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Genuine appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post

A hearty thank you to you and all of our veterans. My hat is off to all of you Sir.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
A hearty thank you to you and all of our veterans. My hat is off to all of you Sir.

You're welcome. My time in the Navy was a pleasure cruise compared to the things some of the members here on MO have endured, my hat is in turn off to them.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
If man was meant to be on the moon he'd be all green with antennas sticking out of his head........

Ditto on Pearl Harbor Day. There's a few Rememberance Ceremonies around the area owing to the large Naval presence here and large military presence in general. Other than that and a byline in the local Tacoma fishwrapper about another Pearl harbor vet checking out there doesn't seem to be much. Sad really given it's significance, it appears it's more important that Gays can get married now and cook a blunt in celebration.

I remember seeing a lot of VFW clubhouses and stuff growing up; not so much anymore. What happened to Vietnam vets was inexcusable; no matter how bad or wrong that war was, if it was, the vets didn't pick it, they went and served. It's good to see vets getting more respect these days.

Damn funny sticker...
Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I am Ashamed. I completely forgot today, and its significance.

My only excuse is, I've been working overnights, and 14-18 hours daily for the last month or two (itallrunstogetherafterawhile), so I essentially barely know one day from the next.

My humble Apologies, Veterans. You have my gratitude that I am able to forget such a momentous day rather than be forced-into "celebrating" some psuedo-holiday aggrandizing Stalin, or Hitler, or Hirohito.

I am grateful for you, and for the fact that my Father was a Vet - and through his efforts and your own, it was wholly un-necessary for myself to fulfill a similar obligation, as our country and the world (in general) have been "safe" enough throughout my lifetime to render Compulsory Service a moot point.

Thank You, not only for that which you have done - but for that you may be called-upon to do in the Future in the name of our children.

I am Shamed.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, since baseball is the national sport of Japan we don't have to feel so bad about it all. In any case my movie lineup today is/was SANDS OF IWO JIMA, AIR FORCE (a great little propaganda film), BATAAN (totally classic movie ending) and THEY WERE EXPENDABLE. And beer. Can't forget the beer. Gotta have beer and the Duke on PH Day.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I took your advice and watched "In Harms Way" with the Duke, Patricia O'Neal, Kirk Douglas, Henry Fonda, Carrol O'Conner, Burgess Meridith and Slim Pickens among others. I was drinking whiskey instead of beer though. Pretty good flick...