Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Default Buzzy's New Ride!

It's a high-performance sedan with performance comparable to the BMW M-Series or Mercedes AMG! And at $85 to $100k, the price is right in line with the Buzzglyd lifestyle.

0-60 in 4.4 seconds
Top speed electronically limited to 130 mph
300 mile range per fill-up
Active suspension control
50/50 weight balance
17" Touchscreen controls

Model S | Tesla Motors

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Pretty nice looking car but they sure hedge their bets on battery specs.

"estimated range at 55 mph"

Just what I want to do is spend 100 grand on a car and drive around at 55 mph hoping I don't run out of juice.

Anyway, CA is planning to jack up DMV fees again along with taxes on "the rich."

Once my BMW lease runs out I will turn it in and buy nothing else. I've got a 10 year old Toyota Tundra with only 65k on it.

Companies are issuing dividend payouts by the handful before the end of the year.

The producers are going on strike and I will be happy to join them.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
The Spaceman
Registered Member

I'm paying off the Mini and keeping it. 18 months to go. It looks brand-new, runs like a top, and even though I'd love a new John Cooper Works Mini or even a new Subaru BRZ, another 6-year loan just kills me. Especially since I don't want to be working in 6 years.

Now a new bike...that's different!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I'm paying off the Mini and keeping it. 18 months to go. It looks brand-new, runs like a top, and even though I'd love a new John Cooper Works Mini or even a new Subaru BRZ, another 6-year loan just kills me. Especially since I don't want to be working in 6 years.

Now a new bike...that's different!
I suspect in a year or two a nice, used V4 Tuono will be floating around.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I traded in my paid off perfectly running Explorer for a new Fusion with a 5 year loan and am still kicking myself in the pants for it.

Don't kick yourself in the pants, pay your car off and keep it till it returns to the iron oxide and bauxite from whence it came.

Not that the Fusion is a bad car, in fact it's downright pleasent. However it isn't four wheel drive which comes in awful handy around here this time of year, and it isn't paid for which is nice to have any time of year.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
The Spaceman
Registered Member

I ran across this article at the kid's dentist's office yesterday.

2013 Automobile of the Year: Tesla Model S - Automobile Magazine

They say the S won not because it's electric, but because it's a hell of great car to drive in all respects; performance, handling, quality, price.

"Actually, the Model S can blow away almost anything. "It's the performance that won us over," admits editor-in-chief Jean Jennings. "The crazy speed builds silently and then pulls back the edges of your face. It had all of us endangering our licenses." Our Model S was of Signature Performance spec, which means its AC induction motor puts out 416 hp and that it blasts to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds. Even those numbers -- positively absurd for a large sedan that uses not a lick of gasoline -- fail to communicate how crazy it actually feels. "It's alarming to jam the accelerator of such a big car and have it surge forward so quickly and so quietly," says copy editor Rusty Blackwell. Like most electric cars, the Model S generates its torque almost instantly. Unlike most electric cars, Tesla's torque amounts to a prodigious 443 lb-ft, all of which goes to the rear wheels. The only indicators of your stunning momentum are the rush of scenery around you, a faint whine, and the digital speedometer's difficulty keeping pace. "Driving the Model S is decidedly not like piloting a Nissan Leaf or an electric Smart," notes road test editor Christopher Nelson. Contributor Ezra Dyer, meanwhile, was so impressed that he arranged an informal drag race to 100 mph with a 560-hp BMW M5. The Model S won. "It bears repeating: this thing is silly quick," he concluded. "

Apparently Motor Trend has also named the S their Car of the Year as well.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I ran across this article at the kid's dentist's office yesterday.

2013 Automobile of the Year: Tesla Model S - Automobile Magazine

They say the S won not because it's electric, but because it's a hell of great car to drive in all respects; performance, handling, quality, price.

"Actually, the Model S can blow away almost anything. "It's the performance that won us over," admits editor-in-chief Jean Jennings. "The crazy speed builds silently and then pulls back the edges of your face. It had all of us endangering our licenses." Our Model S was of Signature Performance spec, which means its AC induction motor puts out 416 hp and that it blasts to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds. Even those numbers -- positively absurd for a large sedan that uses not a lick of gasoline -- fail to communicate how crazy it actually feels. "It's alarming to jam the accelerator of such a big car and have it surge forward so quickly and so quietly," says copy editor Rusty Blackwell. Like most electric cars, the Model S generates its torque almost instantly. Unlike most electric cars, Tesla's torque amounts to a prodigious 443 lb-ft, all of which goes to the rear wheels. The only indicators of your stunning momentum are the rush of scenery around you, a faint whine, and the digital speedometer's difficulty keeping pace. "Driving the Model S is decidedly not like piloting a Nissan Leaf or an electric Smart," notes road test editor Christopher Nelson. Contributor Ezra Dyer, meanwhile, was so impressed that he arranged an informal drag race to 100 mph with a 560-hp BMW M5. The Model S won. "It bears repeating: this thing is silly quick," he concluded. "

Apparently Motor Trend has also named the S their Car of the Year as well.
Perhaps the car is as good as they say it is. But Motor Trend never found a car they didn't love. Car and Driver is a far better publication for accurate evaluations. I'll wait until they test it.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Perhaps the car is as good as they say it is. But Motor Trend never found a car they didn't love. Car and Driver is a far better publication for accurate evaluations. I'll wait until they test it.
Shades of "Moto Rooter Car of the Year - The Trabant" magazine-parody just flashed through my head....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
12er
Founding Member

I see a few wizzing around the bay. Sweet looking cars. Now the Xwing SUV thing is about the stupidest design Ive ever seen. Taller vehicle with gullwing doors? You can park in the garage, just cant get out.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote