Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   For the gun nuts (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/20652-for-gun-nuts.html)

schizuki 10-19-2012 06:58 PM

For the gun nuts

Stopped at Cabela's after work Thursday to nose around. Saw a rack of about twenty Soviet Mosin Nagant rifles, arsenal refinished (by Soviet standards), tagged at $99.99.

A measly C-note for a gen-u-ine piece of history that killed Nazis? My only decision was if I would buy only one (I did. But I may grab a second next week if they're still there). I already own a Finn captured example, but that's a collector piece. I wanted a shooter.

The receivers were dated, so I looked at every damn one, rejecting the '43 and '44 dates until I reached the last one, with its magical "1940r". Ahhh, this one could have held the line at Moscow, or dare I dream, shot at the 6th Army at Stalingrad?

I waited for my background check to clear, then picked it up, boxed, at the counter. Got home, opened the box... what's this? My rifle, plus a leather ammo pouch, some tools, an oil bottle wrapped in grease paper and covered in cosmoline, a sling, and a freakin' pigsticker of a spike bayonet. I put that on, and the rifle wouldn't have looked out of place at Gettysburg. Well, it's an 1891 design, so it wasn't far off.

Not bad for a hundred bucks. And they're really under-rated rifles. If it was good enough for Vasily Zaitsev and Simo fu*kin' Hayha, it's good enough for me.

seruzawa 10-19-2012 07:08 PM

Good find.

Bolt action rifles haven't changed much in 100 years. Almost everything is some form of Mauser action. No reason that a 41 Nagant wouldn't be as good a shooter as the latest offerings. As long as the action is strong, the barrel grooved properly and full floating it's as good as anything with the fiber/composite/parkerized/fancydan whatever. None of the fancy doodahs make a rifle shoot any better.

schizuki 10-19-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 278288)
Bolt action rifles haven't changed much in 100 years.

And automatics haven't changed much in 50. The two most popular automatic rifles were designed in 1947 and 1957. Amazing how small arms development has stalled. It's definitely a mature technology. The only major innovations have been in material (polymers), optics and accessorization (Picatinney rail). Otherwise it's as stagnant as aviation.

The_AirHawk 10-19-2012 08:13 PM

Fook Yeah!

I know's where Ima Goin' tomorrie.....

seruzawa 10-19-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 278289)
And automatics haven't changed much in 50. The two most popular automatic rifles were designed in 1947 and 1957. Amazing how small arms development has stalled. It's definitely a mature technology. The only major innovations have been in material (polymers), optics and accessorization (Picatinney rail). Otherwise it's as stagnant as aviation.

No new auto action is any better than the Garand rotating bolt or the AK-47 action. People will tell you the AR-15 action is as good or better, but that's all horsepucky. The AR15/M16/M4 action is a hunk of junk. The M4 had by far the worst jamming rate of the rifles the Army considered and the weakness of the 5.56mm is legendary. But the right pols get money for their districts so voila the US Army chooses the worst combat rifle of the 20th Century. Don't get me started on that Beretta POS... the only pistol that failed catastrophically several times under test.... but voila the right contracts and payola and the Army picks it.

schizuki 10-20-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 278294)
Don't get me started on that Beretta POS...

I had to buy one just because I needed John McClane's gun. Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuka...

jmdonald 10-20-2012 07:07 AM

Congratulations

Make sure the Homeland Security tracking device has ben removed. The UN needs to know where the assault rifles are. Seriously it sounds like a a nice find.

schizuki 10-20-2012 08:12 AM

Picture!

jmdonald 10-20-2012 10:38 AM

Ammo

schizuki 10-20-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 278299)

Good tip on the heavy ball ammo. Thanks.

I've still got to burn through an 880-round spam can of standard ball I bought ten years ago.