Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #21
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Well, just walked home with one of these, after searching for the longest time. Local Cabela's, had a rackful of the beeyotches. MOST were '43 models, with a '42, and one lone '40 model (that was also the ONLY numbers-matcher for breech, bolt, floorplate, and stock) - that'n came home with me. (no waiting period here for long-guns)

Bought The Wife an SR9c this mornin', got me a lil' sumthin'-sumthin' this afternoon.... (getcher mind outter the gutter - it's th' RIFLE ima talkin 'bout here!)

Best Damn Independence Day weekend I've had since before Dad was killed - WHAT BETTER WAY to spend the 4th, than acquiring weapons?

(BTW - the rifles are going UP-UP-UP in price, and no longer come with alla them gewgaws schizuki got with his'n - get yers now, a'fore they're.... well.... with something like 56-gajillion Mosin rifles made [an' that's just th' RUSSKIE RIFLES], not likely they'll be GONE anytime soon - but the price, she IS a-Risin'....)

(Ima prolly make it into this: Archangel Mosin Nagant Video Update #1 PRE-ORDER INFO - YouTube )

(GREAT thing about that setup is, it's ALL Reversible, 'cept the bolt - which I figger I'll just get another to hack-up and not worry 'bout it)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
(BTW - the rifles are going UP-UP-UP in price, and no longer come with alla them gewgaws schizuki got with his'n - get yers now, a'fore they're.... well.... with something like 56-gajillion Mosin rifles made [an' that's just th' RUSSKIE RIFLES], not likely they'll be GONE anytime soon - but the price, she IS a-Risin'....)
Thank the World's Greatest Gun Salesman.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #23
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Homeland Security

Janet Napolitano thanks you for identifying yourself as a home grown malcontent and all around undesirable. You may redeem yourself by participating in the Mark Kelly gun responsibility world peace tour. Details will be forwarded within two business days. Carry on citizen.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
schizuki
Founding Member

Welcome to the Mosin club, Airhawk! Now be sure you get a whole lotta Windex down that barrel after you shoot the corrosive Commie ammo.

Mosins are cheap fun.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #25
schizuki
Founding Member

Here's some Mosin trivia:

Remington and Westinghouse produced several million Mosins for the Czarist government. Delivery was interrupted by the Russian Revolution, and the companies were facing ruin. The US government stepped in and bought hundreds of thousands of the rifles, distributing some to National Guard units, some to anti-Communist forces in Russia and keeping others for Army training. Their most interesting disposal was in arming an American expeditionary force that fought the Bolsheviks in Russia from 1918-1920.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Here's some Mosin trivia:

Remington and Westinghouse produced several million Mosins for the Czarist government. Delivery was interrupted by the Russian Revolution, and the companies were facing ruin. The US government stepped in and bought hundreds of thousands of the rifles, distributing some to National Guard units, some to anti-Communist forces in Russia and keeping others for Army training. Their most interesting disposal was in arming an American expeditionary force that fought the Bolsheviks in Russia from 1918-1920.
Let that be a lesson. When dealing with foreign govts, ESPECIALLY RUSSIA, always demand cash on the barrelhead.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Y'know, now that I've had it for a bit in my hot little hand - I'm a bit awed by the thought of what this rifle might have seen (there appears to be what I think may be TEETH MARKS in the buttstock - will have to look at it more carefully to be sure). I may have to get one of the '43s to convert, JUST so I can look at and handle (and occasionally shoot) this one.

Rifling and crown is in really good shape on this one - lockup is nice and tight, the sear has very little wear - trigger action is actually really GOOD and crisp (compared to what I've read is typical of these rifles in an unmodified state) - the only real flaw is the external bottom of the barrel, under the forestock has some corrosion (and a few scratches where someone dragged a pen-knife or something across the corrosion) - nothing that damages the integrity, or makes me worry about the safety of the gun - but in a place that WILL be seen if I use an Archangel stock conversion.

I dunno - any suggestions? The Beauty of the Archangel is in the ability to "go back" in minutes. The drawback is, I would have to store the original parts, and would not be able to just pick up the (original) rifle and handle it at any time, and ponder the fate of its previous Russian owner(s), and the significance of the individual in the grand scheme of things (or lack thereof).

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 07-06-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #28
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I dunno - any suggestions? The Beauty of the Archangel is in the ability to "go back" in minutes. The drawback is, I would have to store the original parts, and would not be able to just pick up the (original) rifle and handle it at any time, and ponder the fate of its previous Russian owner(s), and the significance of the individual in the grand scheme of things (or lack thereof).
Well, there are enough around that you can do what you want and you won't be hurting history. But my Mosin philosophy is to keep it simple, as Ivan did. As Mosin fans say:

"Is rifle. Is shoot."

Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Well, there are enough around that you can do what you want and you won't be hurting history. But my Mosin philosophy is to keep it simple, as Ivan did. As Mosin fans say:

"Is rifle. Is shoot."
All the fancy stockage and doodads won't make the thing hit the bullseye any better. The best thing to spend your money on is ammunition. Case in point: My friend Jay. Could barely hit the broad side of a barn door. Gets tired of missing the deer and goes out and spends a fortune on a Weatherby 300. Now he spends $50 for a box of 20 rounds and still can't hit the broad side of a barn door. He also snarls whenever I tell him he should have kept the Winnie 300 and spent the price of the Weatherby on ammo and range fees.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Excellent points, both. No matter how "good" of a shot one is - one can ALWAYS improve.