Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

For a couple hundred bucks you can get an RCBS press, dies, a scale some powder and primers and save a bundle on rifle calibre ammo and larger pistol calibers too. You can load .30-06 for 1/3 price and that includes using premium bullets like Nozler Partitions. 45ACP, .44mag, .357mag same same. A pound of powder will reload 1000 .38spec.... the preferred cartridge for practicing with a .357.

I've been reloading for years and I do easily twice the shooting I would do if I bought ammo commercially. Plus it gives something to do on those long winter days rather than vegging out.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
For a couple hundred bucks you can get an RCBS press, dies, a scale some powder and primers and save a bundle on rifle calibre ammo and larger pistol calibers too. You can load .30-06 for 1/3 price and that includes using premium bullets like Nozler Partitions. 45ACP, .44mag, .357mag same same. A pound of powder will reload 1000 .38spec.... the preferred cartridge for practicing with a .357.

I've been reloading for years and I do easily twice the shooting I would do if I bought ammo commercially. Plus it gives something to do on those long winter days rather than vegging out.
Do you fab your own razor wire too?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Do you fab your own razor wire too?
Why would I do that? It's cheaper to buy it. Broken glass and glue are pretty cheap too.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
The surplus stuff is so dirt cheap, reloading it doesn't really pay for my time. However, I'm gearing up for Cowboy Action Shooting next year, so I've set myself up for reloading .38 Special, .44 Russian and .32-20. Gonna go with factory ammo I've been scoring relatively cheap, then save the brass to reload with a black-powder substitute the year after.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Why would I do that? It's cheaper to buy it. Broken glass and glue are pretty cheap too.
You probably raise your own gators for the moat.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

VERY disappointed in the local Cabela's - not only do they have exactly "none" (0) in stock, but they looked at me like I had a swastika branded on each of the horns growing from the top of my head when I asked about them.

One guy pointed at the "Military Surplus/Pre-Owned" rack that contained some ancient czech breech-loader ($699), a handful of craptastic AR-15's ($899 to $2699) and two tired-ass 8mm Mauser rifles ($499 for the battle rifle, and $599 for the "Trainer"): both of which had been "armory reworked" with the "battle rifle" that had plugs glued-into what I'm assuming was a bullet-scar, and another filling-in the notch for the bolt-handle in the stock - I can only surmise the rifle had been used SO MUCH, that it had worn-down and ganked-up the notch, and rather than tossing it, someone had sawn-out the "defects" and "fixed" it with wood that not-only did not have the same grain-pattern (and colour), but used a black glue, and did not even match the grain direction......

Meh.

Glad you managed a Good Find.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #18
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
VERY disappointed in the local Cabela's - not only do they have exactly "none" (0) in stock, but they looked at me like I had a swastika branded on each of the horns growing from the top of my head when I asked about them.

One guy pointed at the "Military Surplus/Pre-Owned" rack that contained some ancient czech breech-loader ($699), a handful of craptastic AR-15's ($899 to $2699) and two tired-ass 8mm Mauser rifles ($499 for the battle rifle, and $599 for the "Trainer"): both of which had been "armory reworked" with the "battle rifle" that had plugs glued-into what I'm assuming was a bullet-scar, and another filling-in the notch for the bolt-handle in the stock - I can only surmise the rifle had been used SO MUCH, that it had worn-down and ganked-up the notch, and rather than tossing it, someone had sawn-out the "defects" and "fixed" it with wood that not-only did not have the same grain-pattern (and colour), but used a black glue, and did not even match the grain direction......

Meh.

Glad you managed a Good Find.
Yikes. That sounds like what my local Cabelas is normally like. Luckily I also have the Kittery Trading Post only 45 minutes away - much better prices and selection.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default A little more

I have seen these rifles and they are stellar. They are a little more tha $99.00 but still a bargain.

Fine Historical & Modern Firearms such as Mauser Rifles, P-08 Luger Pistols, P38 Autos, 1911 Autos and more by Mitchell's Mausers
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #20
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
I have seen these rifles and they are stellar. They are a little more tha $99.00 but still a bargain.

Fine Historical & Modern Firearms such as Mauser Rifles, P-08 Luger Pistols, P38 Autos, 1911 Autos and more by Mitchell's Mausers
Funny you should mention that - I just got my local Cabela's sale flyer, and on Thursday they'll have the Mauser 24/47's on sale for $249. I'll be taking an early, extended lunch.

Can't believe I don't own a '98 variant already. Hopefully that will be remedied before Thursday noon.