Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
schizuki
Founding Member

Default "Looper" review

Went to see Looper today. Terrific. It featured a believable near-future setting, excellent performances (how can you lose with Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis), some scenes that left me gasping with my jaw on the ground, and best of all, intelligent writing. The screenwriter actually took pains to inhabit the characters he was writing and make them talk and act as real people would. They were fully-formed individuals acting realistically on internally-logical motivations.

The movie is wholly original while at the same time giving cinephilic nods to The Terminator and Shane. The latter happens in the second half, which doesn't quite follow through on the promise of the first. While the first half was stunning, the rest mines some overly-familiar "hero protecting the woman and boy" territory, with a resolution that seems a little more facile than you would expect after the deft originality of the first hour.

A more critical flaw is the lack of compelling "stakes." Action movies rely on the protagonist (and by extension, the audience) having a stake in the outcome. But here the stakes are limited, leaving me wondering, "Was it worth it?" Sometimes that can be a profound moral or philosophical question, but here it isn't. It's purely matter-of-fact.

That major reservation aside, the writing, pacing, direction, performances and some gob-smacking scenes make for a very satisfying film. Check it out.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Here's the $30 question: having seen it, would you still pay theater admission, or wait for it to hit DVD/PPV?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Here's the $30 question: having seen it, would you still pay theater admission, or wait for it to hit DVD/PPV?
Theater, for sure.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
The Spaceman
Registered Member

I usually save theater money for big action flicks like The Avengers. Bruce Willis though...he rarely does anything I don't like. 5th Element is in my Top 10 for sure.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
5th Element is in my Top 10 for sure.
A very under-rated movie.

"Leeloo Dallas moolti-pass."

Could've used a Chris Tucker-ectomy, though.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

"Oh, the red button there kid, don't ever, ever touch the red button!"

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The real question will be if it's good enough to see here!

Cinepolis Luxury Cinemas | Now Playing | San Diego, Del Mar, Carlsbad, La Costa, Laguna Niguel, Ocean Ranch | Movie theater with leather recliners, full bar and fine dining

We get fancy chairs and booze service but if the movie is no bueno, it's a big waste of money.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
The real question will be if it's good enough to see here!

Cinepolis Luxury Cinemas | Now Playing | San Diego, Del Mar, Carlsbad, La Costa, Laguna Niguel, Ocean Ranch | Movie theater with leather recliners, full bar and fine dining

We get fancy chairs and booze service but if the movie is no bueno, it's a big waste of money.
We have one like that in Boca. Restaurant, bar, valet parking, waiters who bring drinks and food to your seat. Meh...it's too much IMO.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
We have one like that in Boca. Restaurant, bar, valet parking, waiters who bring drinks and food to your seat. Meh...it's too much IMO.
I haven't seen a movie in a theater for years. It seems people try this once and realize they just spent a c-note on a bad movie.

I've got a nice home theater setup and can spend the extra dough on a nice bottle of wine.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
The Spaceman
Registered Member

I still love the theater for some movies. The 4K resolution video playback, the surround sound, the gigantic screens...it's worth the $15 for some movies. And the "regular" theater now does reserved seating, so I can pick our seats online before heading in and not have to worry about getting there early for good seats.

They have a new "D-Box" seat that shakes and rattles with the soundtrack, that, so far, has proven to be useless.