Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   "Looper" review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/20618-looper-review.html)

schizuki 10-06-2012 01:41 PM

"Looper" review

Went to see Looper today. Terrific. It featured a believable near-future setting, excellent performances (how can you lose with Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis), some scenes that left me gasping with my jaw on the ground, and best of all, intelligent writing. The screenwriter actually took pains to inhabit the characters he was writing and make them talk and act as real people would. They were fully-formed individuals acting realistically on internally-logical motivations.

The movie is wholly original while at the same time giving cinephilic nods to The Terminator and Shane. The latter happens in the second half, which doesn't quite follow through on the promise of the first. While the first half was stunning, the rest mines some overly-familiar "hero protecting the woman and boy" territory, with a resolution that seems a little more facile than you would expect after the deft originality of the first hour.

A more critical flaw is the lack of compelling "stakes." Action movies rely on the protagonist (and by extension, the audience) having a stake in the outcome. But here the stakes are limited, leaving me wondering, "Was it worth it?" Sometimes that can be a profound moral or philosophical question, but here it isn't. It's purely matter-of-fact.

That major reservation aside, the writing, pacing, direction, performances and some gob-smacking scenes make for a very satisfying film. Check it out.

The Spaceman 10-07-2012 06:52 AM

Here's the $30 question: having seen it, would you still pay theater admission, or wait for it to hit DVD/PPV?

schizuki 10-07-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 277996)
Here's the $30 question: having seen it, would you still pay theater admission, or wait for it to hit DVD/PPV?

Theater, for sure.

The Spaceman 10-07-2012 03:36 PM

I usually save theater money for big action flicks like The Avengers. Bruce Willis though...he rarely does anything I don't like. 5th Element is in my Top 10 for sure.

schizuki 10-07-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 278000)
5th Element is in my Top 10 for sure.

A very under-rated movie.

"Leeloo Dallas moolti-pass."

Could've used a Chris Tucker-ectomy, though.

pushrod 10-08-2012 05:51 AM

"Oh, the red button there kid, don't ever, ever touch the red button!"

Buzglyd 10-08-2012 06:36 AM

The real question will be if it's good enough to see here!

Cinepolis Luxury Cinemas | Now Playing | San Diego, Del Mar, Carlsbad, La Costa, Laguna Niguel, Ocean Ranch | Movie theater with leather recliners, full bar and fine dining

We get fancy chairs and booze service but if the movie is no bueno, it's a big waste of money.

The Spaceman 10-08-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 278006)
The real question will be if it's good enough to see here!

Cinepolis Luxury Cinemas | Now Playing | San Diego, Del Mar, Carlsbad, La Costa, Laguna Niguel, Ocean Ranch | Movie theater with leather recliners, full bar and fine dining

We get fancy chairs and booze service but if the movie is no bueno, it's a big waste of money.

We have one like that in Boca. Restaurant, bar, valet parking, waiters who bring drinks and food to your seat. Meh...it's too much IMO.

Buzglyd 10-08-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 278008)
We have one like that in Boca. Restaurant, bar, valet parking, waiters who bring drinks and food to your seat. Meh...it's too much IMO.

I haven't seen a movie in a theater for years. It seems people try this once and realize they just spent a c-note on a bad movie.

I've got a nice home theater setup and can spend the extra dough on a nice bottle of wine.

The Spaceman 10-08-2012 09:21 AM

I still love the theater for some movies. The 4K resolution video playback, the surround sound, the gigantic screens...it's worth the $15 for some movies. And the "regular" theater now does reserved seating, so I can pick our seats online before heading in and not have to worry about getting there early for good seats.

They have a new "D-Box" seat that shakes and rattles with the soundtrack, that, so far, has proven to be useless.