Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   These just flew over my house (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/20586-these-just-flew-over-my-house.html)

schizuki 09-28-2012 11:55 AM

I'll give the babbling bastard credit for one thing, though - he's the only person I remember warning about the subprime mortgage danger. He called it.

The Spaceman 09-28-2012 12:19 PM

Moms house is about five miles from the Confederate Air Force museum. They've got several WWII planes, and they have an annual air show with B17s, P-51s, etc. Me and the kid go a couple times a year because they let us hang around the restoration hangers.

Last time we were there they were working on a Phantom and a Huey for their new Vietnam exhibit.

sarnali2 09-28-2012 01:40 PM

Phantoms, pffft.... after you've had them doing Mach 2 fly-bys and touch-n-go's on your roof a few thousand times it gets a little old!

Just kidding, after the Spitfire the Phantom F4J is the coolest plane out there

The Spaceman 09-28-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 277832)
the Phantom F4J is the coolest plane out there

It sure is a big sucker; it dwarfed most of the other planes in the hanger.

The Goodyear blimp used to stop by the same airport where the museum is on it's annual trips up and down the coast. One day it was heading west from the coast toward the airport, and it flew so low over our house, the big docking rope smacked into the steeple of the house. They have a giant lead weight at the end of that rope, so it did some damage. Dad called and told them about it; two weeks later we had a brand new roof courtesy of Goodyear!

pushrod 09-28-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 277832)
Phantoms, pffft.... after you've had them doing Mach 2 fly-bys and touch-n-go's on your roof a few thousand times it gets a little old!

Just kidding, after the Spitfire the Phantom F4J is the coolest plane out there

Remember those Full bells and Cat Drags? I regularly lied to the Air Boss, saying the 3" valve was fully open!

Those F-4's coming in were the definition of a "Controlled Crash!"

Except, maybe the A-3D's (Whales) were scarier. Jeezus!

Buzglyd 09-28-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 277834)
It sure is a big sucker; it dwarfed most of the other planes in the hanger.

The Goodyear blimp used to stop by the same airport where the museum is on it's annual trips up and down the coast. One day it was heading west from the coast toward the airport, and it flew so low over our house, the big docking rope smacked into the steeple of the house. They have a giant lead weight at the end of that rope, so it did some damage. Dad called and told them about it; two weeks later we had a brand new roof courtesy of Goodyear!

Those evil, thoughtless corporations!

You're lucky a postal van didn't crash into momma's house.

You'd still have the hole and the EPA would be suing you for wetlands protection.

seruzawa 09-28-2012 07:45 PM

F4s used to buzz our tin can when we patrolled off of Vietnam. Suckers can exceed mach 1 at sea level. The F15 and F22 are the only other US planes that can do that. You're sittin' there minding your own business and those f***ers blow right overhead.... BLAMMO! Horizon to horizon in about 4 seconds.

The F4 was the last fighter one could call beautiful until the F22 brought clean lines back. But the F4 with the droopy tail fins just looks totally wicked.

schizuki 09-28-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 277841)
The F4 was the last fighter one could call beautiful until the F22 brought clean lines back. But the F4 with the droopy tail fins just looks totally wicked.

The Phantom was beautifully ugly. It shouldn't look good, but somehow it does.

pushrod 09-29-2012 06:27 PM

They still have F-4's in the air here. They are targets for the F-22's.

They are Drones, but can be flown by an onboard pilot.
Still love the howl of those J79 engines!

The_AirHawk 09-29-2012 07:36 PM

F-4's used to "Bomb" the pond in the middle of our field when I was growing-up. I believe they did so because A) the pilots knew Dad, and knew there wouldn't be any compliants (Career Navy Man). And B) the pond was perfectly in-line with a large concrete-slipwall feed mill, about 6-miles due-South of it, and the field sort of "opened up" as a clearing, right after a wooded-area. Made for the perfect treetop-level "sneak-attack", with an excellent landmark to align an attack-run.

It's scare the bejeezus out of you if you were out haying or feeding cattle or whatever, and a barely-subsonic plane would "pop" out from over the trees, bear-down on the center of the field, and then veer-off in a banking climb, usually with afterburner followed by a sonic-boom. All within a handspan of seconds.

(which, strangely enough, the cattle were little-affected by them - they'd jump and start, then freeze and stare wonderingly around, never actually seeing the plane, I believe)

I still have most of Dad's tech manuals, many of them on the F-4 Phantom. The most-interesting is the one detailing repair of turbine-fins and rebalancing of the rotating assembly.