Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
pushrod
Founding Member

Default A Martian Panorama

This website has some great content!

This link is to the panorama of Mars, made of a series of photos shot from Curiosity.

Utah Is Perfect for Pretending You Are on Mars | Wired Science | Wired.com

If you look closely to the right of the mountain, you might see a huge pile of mismatched socks and a large assortment of keys...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.

Last edited by seruzawa : 09-10-2012 at 03:50 PM.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Nice link, Pushrod. What I'm finding remarkable about the current Mars photos is just how inhabitable the place looks. There were plenty of places in Saudi we camped in that looked just like the photos. I sure hope we get people out there before I croak.

Did you see the landing "video?" It's not truly a video, but rather thousands of HD photos linked together to create the video effect:

New NASA video captures drama of Mars landing - Yahoo! News
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Crazy landing!

Not as cool as the opening sequence in the movie, 'Heavy Metal,' but right impressive still!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

Very cool.

Mars is fairly hospitable, but I still believe that terraforming and permanent extra-terrestrial settlement anywhere are pipe dreams. There are four huge problems as I see it:

1) Bacteria. Find an Earth-like planet wrapped up in a bow, and it will be chock-full of stuff that would gruesomely kill us. This is probably the easiest to overcome, as I don't think we're very far away from nanobot immune-system boosters.

2) Temperature. Mars doesn't cut it. Close, but still too cold. Give it an Earth-like atmo and I think you'd wind up with a snowball.

3) No "perfect moon." Our moon is the right size and distance to have a moderating effect on weather and climate. No Earth-like moon and you get climate chaos. And our moon was a freak accident, unlikely to be a common occurrence in the galaxy.

4) The big one, IMO - gravity. We've evolved millions of years in 1G. How would the body react to heavier or lighter gravity, especially in pregnancy?

I've no doubt that somewhere in the trillions of solar systems, there are many good candidates. But the odds are huge and there's still the lightspeed barrier to solve. Nice to dream, though.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
I've no doubt that somewhere in the trillions of solar systems, there are many good candidates. But the odds are huge and there's still the lightspeed barrier to solve. Nice to dream, though.
FTL travel IS theoretically possible. However it'll be a looooong time before they can engineer it. First you need to be able to generate your own gravity. We'll have it about the same time we have efficient usable electric cars.

But, one thing is true in astrophysics. They are constantly changing their view of what is or isn't possible. For example when I was a kid it was "settled science" that stars with planets would be very rare. Then in the 80s they orbited infrared satellites and discovered that planetary systems are the norm. Theories have a way of falling to observed phenomena.

Last edited by seruzawa : 09-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

"Folding Space" is easy. It's getting all the wrinkles out afterward that's the problem....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Very cool.

Mars is fairly hospitable, but I still believe that terraforming and permanent extra-terrestrial settlement anywhere are pipe dreams. There are four huge problems as I see it:

1) Bacteria. Find an Earth-like planet wrapped up in a bow, and it will be chock-full of stuff that would gruesomely kill us. This is probably the easiest to overcome, as I don't think we're very far away from nanobot immune-system boosters.

2) Temperature. Mars doesn't cut it. Close, but still too cold. Give it an Earth-like atmo and I think you'd wind up with a snowball.

3) No "perfect moon." Our moon is the right size and distance to have a moderating effect on weather and climate. No Earth-like moon and you get climate chaos. And our moon was a freak accident, unlikely to be a common occurrence in the galaxy.

4) The big one, IMO - gravity. We've evolved millions of years in 1G. How would the body react to heavier or lighter gravity, especially in pregnancy?

I agree that interstellar colonization is a long, long way off, and that colonizing planets with existing lifeforms will be dicey, at best. But you might be interested in some recent ideas about colonizing Mars proposed by Robert Zubrin in his book "The Case for Mars: The Plan to Settle the Red Planet, and Why We Must." Zubrin isn't a dreamy Sci-Fi writer, he's an aerospace engineer actively working on current Mars exploration.

Wikipedia has a nice summary of his plan here:
The Case for Mars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
FTL travel IS theoretically possible. However it'll be a looooong time before they can engineer it. First you need to be able to generate your own gravity. We'll have it about the same time we have efficient usable electric cars.

But, one thing is true in astrophysics. They are constantly changing their view of what is or isn't possible. For example when I was a kid it was "settled science" that stars with planets would be very rare. Then in the 80s they orbited infrared satellites and discovered that planetary systems are the norm. Theories have a way of falling to observed phenomena.
There's a weird disconnect between the first and second paragraphs. First you say we'll never have usable electric cars, and then two sentences later you observe (correctly) that what is and isn't possible is constantly changing. Surely astrophysics isn't the only discipline where that happens.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
There's a weird disconnect between the first and second paragraphs. First you say we'll never have usable electric cars, and then two sentences later you observe (correctly) that what is and isn't possible is constantly changing. Surely astrophysics isn't the only discipline where that happens.
It's a joke, Ken.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
It's a joke, Ken.
I am...dishonored today.