Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Prometheus review

A very frustrating film with unnecessary characters doing nonsensical things. It wasn't a bad movie, it was just undermined by writers who don't seem to know how people work, and who think "Hey, look, isn't this cool?" has the same merit as a cohesive narrative with scenes that serve the theme and the plot. It cribbed a bunch from 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner to little effect. It looked great, though, and for an Alien fanboy like me there were plenty of neat Easter eggs.

And if somebody could explain to me the point of the existence of Charlize Theron's character, I'd be impressed. It's not like she showed her t!ts or anything.

Here's the sort of thing that bothered me. If I was in a room on a ship with several other people, and one of our female crew members walked through the door in her underwear and covered in blood, I think that I and the others would ask her about that. Or at least register some level of surprise and confusion on our faces. And I don't think that she would simply begin to engage us in conversation. And if she did, I would not reply with anything except, "Jesus Christ! You're in your underwear and covered in blood! What the f*ck!"

But maybe fashion is different in the future. Maybe in-your-underwear-and-covered-in-blood is the new black.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
The Spaceman
Registered Member

I was pretty let down myself. From what I've read, the final film was a complete departure of what it started out to be; a true prequel to "Alien." And because of that departure, they had to play some cheap tricks like making a "spacesuit" out of what was supposed to be the enormous pilot of the original Alien ship.

And one more thing: (SPOILER ALERT) does it make any sense at all that a race advanced enough to seed a planet with life is going to get itself wrapped around the axle trying to manage a WMD factory? Sheese.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
schizuki
Founding Member

BTW, was some new law recently passed that requires Michael Fassbender to be in every movie from now on?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Racist Propaganda

Haven't seen it but have read that it is permeated with politically correct non-whites save the planet earth propaganda.White guys portrayed as money-hungry lowlifes, or cowardly fools. Non-whites brave and honorable. Whites in the movies these days always seem to be craven and selfish. Does Charlize Theron really continue the theme of blonde characters who must be calculating and evil immediately deciding to have sex with a black man after a grunted pickup line in a scene that seems to be planted in the movie simply to promote miscegenation? Just curious.

Last edited by jmdonald : 06-16-2012 at 06:21 PM.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I thought motorcycle guys were supposed to be cool.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I thought motorcycle guys were supposed to be cool.
Cool is dead. Geeks rule the Earth and NBA players wear bow ties, plaid shirts and big glasses.

Besides, there ain't nothin' ever been cool about dressing like an S&M pirate and riding a functionally-compromised motorcycle with obnoxious pipes. Steve McQueen never screamed, "Look at me! Look at me! WAAAHHHH!!!!"

Old 06-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Well thanks guys, I was looking forward to seeing it.... now it appears it's just another festering turd stinking up the screen.

Steve McQueen rode compettion bikes in appropriate riding attire which is the height of cool, much like me with my 'stitch and GS and we share a first name though I go by Steven because I'm a snob..

Dressing like a pirate quit being cool when it morphed from being what you wore all the time to a uniform you wore on the weekends to ride with your "bros".. Much like suburban white kids walking around in starter jackets with their pants hanging off their ass and their hats on sideways

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Ridly Scott will never equal his best... Alien and Blade runner.

Scifi movies seems to either be mindless crap like Skyline or "arted up" weirdness like Alien4 these days. Really good stuff like District9 is rare. I don't know why this is especially since District9 was fairly low budget. Good sci-fi tends to be objective filmmaking rather than subjective.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

District 9 was good because South Afrikkans are basically nuts and not constrained by any kind of politically correct bullsh*t like the rest of polite society.

Pandorum was pretty good too by the way

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Ridly Scott will never equal his best... Alien and Blade runner.

Scifi movies seems to either be mindless crap like Skyline or "arted up" weirdness like Alien4 these days. Really good stuff like District9 is rare. I don't know why this is especially since District9 was fairly low budget. Good sci-fi tends to be objective filmmaking rather than subjective.
1). Because they are mainly clueless dullards in Hollywood.

2) Because every film has to have to progressive "message" in it rather than a decent script. Nearly every Hollywood film from the Pre-Obama era has some gratuitous, random Bush shot in it whether it fits the script or not.

I'm not into Sci Fi that much but most Hollywood films are so crappy I don't even bother.

I did like the King's Speech though.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote