Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Default This is the Day

We saw the beginning of the end:

Google gets first self-driven car permit in Nevada - Taipei Times

Autonomous vehicles are the “car of the future,” Nevada DMV director Bruce Breslow said in a statement. The state also has plans to eventually license autonomous vehicles owned by the members of the public, the DMV said.

Legislation to regulate autonomous cars is being considered in other states, including Google’s home state of California.

“The vast majority of vehicle accidents are due to human error. Through the use of computers, sensors and other systems, an autonomous vehicle is capable of analyzing the driving environment more quickly and operating the vehicle more safely,” California state Senator Alex Padilla said in March when he introduced that state’s autonomous car legislation.

Other car companies are also seeking self-driven car licenses in Nevada, the DMV said.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Considering the brain-dead state of many of our fellow motorists it would probably be an improvement

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

Another advantage of these cars is that the govt can set maximum speed limits of, say, 50mph, and you'll be really really safe. And even better if you have an unpaid parking ticket or owe some taxes they will just have the car drive you to jail.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Another advantage of these cars is that the govt can set maximum speed limits of, say, 50mph, and you'll be really really safe. And even better if you have an unpaid parking ticket or owe some taxes they will just have the car drive you to jail.
If that fugger gets a parking ticket or somethin', it can pay it its OWN damn self....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
If that fugger gets a parking ticket or somethin', it can pay it its OWN damn self....
Florida is already doing essentially that. If you run a red light at a camera-monitored intersection, they send the owner of the car the ticket. There's no photo of the driver, just the back end of the car. If you claim someone else was driving the car, they demand you provide their name, DOB, DL #, etc. If you play along with their scheme, the fine is $180, which you send to the traffic camera corporation in AZ! If you plead not guilty and get convicted, the fine is $300 plus court costs.

I figure if this gets bad enough, I'll form a club where 15 - 20 people will claim they used your car on any given day. We'll all turn each other in if any of us get popped.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Florida is already doing essentially that. If you run a red light at a camera-monitored intersection, they send the owner of the car the ticket. There's no photo of the driver, just the back end of the car. If you claim someone else was driving the car, they demand you provide their name, DOB, DL #, etc. If you play along with their scheme, the fine is $180, which you send to the traffic camera corporation in AZ! If you plead not guilty and get convicted, the fine is $300 plus court costs.

I figure if this gets bad enough, I'll form a club where 15 - 20 people will claim they used your car on any given day. We'll all turn each other in if any of us get popped.
We get the same notifications Kenneth. I throw them in the trash. It's all run by your beloved gov't.

They are called "nominations." They are asking you to convict yourself. You'll notice it says "do not contact the court."

The court doesn't know anything about it until you admit you did it. In the trash they go and you never hear another thing.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
We get the same notifications Kenneth. I throw them in the trash. It's all run by your beloved gov't.

They are called "nominations." They are asking you to convict yourself. You'll notice it says "do not contact the court."

The court doesn't know anything about it until you admit you did it. In the trash they go and you never hear another thing.
Speed Cameras = SameSame.

The Brits have a good way of Dealing with the worst of the lot.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post

I can't say what the setup in CA is, but as I said in my post, the one I got clearly said if I didn't respond, the case would be handed over to the Broward courts and I'd have to defend it there. I contacted the Ticket Clinic (wonderful people, they've saved me lots of fines, points, and traffic school) and their advice was pay it and move on.

Funny thing you'd say "It's all run by your beloved gov't." It most definitely is NOT run by the goverment, it's a private corporation out of AZ. They cut a deal with the government to let them install the cameras, process the "sales," bill the "customers," etc. The government gets a check for 1/2 the revenue. This little sample of what we have to look forward to when we privatize government functions doesn't make a very good case for the idea.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I can't say what the setup in CA is, but as I said in my post, the one I got clearly said if I didn't respond, the case would be handed over to the Broward courts and I'd have to defend it there. I contacted the Ticket Clinic (wonderful people, they've saved me lots of fines, points, and traffic school) and their advice was pay it and move on.

Funny thing you'd say "It's all run by your beloved gov't." It most definitely is NOT run by the goverment, it's a private corporation out of AZ. They cut a deal with the government to let them install the cameras, process the "sales," bill the "customers," etc. The government gets a check for 1/2 the revenue. This little sample of what we have to look forward to when we privatize government functions doesn't make a very good case for the idea.
It's run with gov't approval Kenneth. A private corporation can't remand you to the court system by sending a letter.

I think we have the same company in AZ. Ours clearly state Do Not Contact the Court. Because the court knows nothing about it until you admit guilt.

Funny thing is, my buddy just got one and his kid was driving. The car is registered to him of course. The boy rolled through a right hand turn on the red without stopping.

The picture and video was snapped at 11:35 PM (he was supposed to be home at 11)

He had three kids in the car (illegal in CA when you're under 1

And of course he was caught with the traffic violation.

Can you say grounded?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote