Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 05-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

You don't know a f***ing thing about the FDA's revolving door with industry, do you? If the FDA really intended to protect the public Nutrisweet would never have been approved, or fenphen, or zoloft, or..... oh looky, the guy who was the FDA's chief counsel is now working for Upjohn. How about that?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #12
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
The pink slime you speak of IS FDA approved Kenneth and has been for years. It would be nice if you'd get your news from something other than people magazine.

Doesn't your manicurist at least have Sports Illustrated?
And it would be even nicer if you had even a glimmer of American history to give you a perspective on current events before you popped off your clever remarks. Do you have any idea why the FDA was formed?

They covered this in 8th grade where I went to school, but it's never too late to learn:

FDA History - Part I
Old 05-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #13
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You don't know a f***ing thing about the FDA's revolving door with industry, do you? If the FDA really intended to protect the public Nutrisweet would never have been approved, or fenphen, or zoloft, or..... oh looky, the guy who was the FDA's chief counsel is now working for Upjohn. How about that?
So with the FDA, a few bad products get through, and you think that without it, we'd be better off? That defies logic and common sense. Unless you live in a fantasy world where corporations aren't driven by profit, have only the best interests of their consumers in mind, and the darn FDA is making them produce unsafe food and drugs.

How about THAT?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
So with the FDA, a few bad products get through, and you think that without it, we'd be better off? That defies logic and common sense. Unless you live in a fantasy world where corporations aren't driven by profit, have only the best interests of their consumers in mind, and the darn FDA is making them produce unsafe food and drugs.

How about THAT?
The FDA approved the meat and it is perfectly safe. Idiot media hysteria put 650 working stiffs out of work.

Get the facts about lean beef trim | Get the facts about lean beef trim
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
The FDA approved the meat and it is perfectly safe. Idiot media hysteria put 650 working stiffs out of work.

Get the facts about lean beef trim | Get the facts about lean beef trim
I guess I have to spell it out for you:

I wasn't talking about "Pink Slime" when I referred to formaldehyde. One of the reasons the FDA was formed was an extremely popular book published in 1906 called "The Jungle," written by Upton Sinclair. In his book, Sinclair documented horrific food industry practices by working undercover in Chicago meat packing plants. Among many other grossly unsafe practices, the use of formaldehyde to make rotten meat appear fresh was common.

If you want to predict the future, look at the past.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
I guess I have to spell it out for you:

If you want to predict the future, look at the past.
This REALLY should be Zero's campaign slogan.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:

How about THAT?
Your faith-based belief in bureaucracy is amusing. Especially when you have the audacity to denigrate religious people for being "illogical".
Old 05-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #18
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Your faith-based belief in bureaucracy is amusing. Especially when you have the audacity to denigrate religious people for being "illogical".
I'm amused that you can't differentiate between a demonstrable reality (i.e.: an organization that inspects food) and faith (i.e.: belief in God), which by definition has no evidence.

As for denigrating religion, mea culpa. I love God, but I despise almost all of organized religion. In my direct experience, organized religion has hijacked one of humanity's greatest gifts and perverted it to gain authority, wealth, and power.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
I'm amused that you can't differentiate between a demonstrable reality (i.e.: an organization that inspects food) and faith (i.e.: belief in God), which by definition has no evidence.

As for denigrating religion, mea culpa. I love God, but I despise almost all of organized religion. In my direct experience, organized religion has hijacked one of humanity's greatest gifts and perverted it to gain authority, wealth, and power.
A free press and tort law has done far far more to protect the public than a handful of politically motivated bureaucrats. The FDA rubber stamps the drug companies' paper work. Protecting medical doctors and agribusiness from the competition is more like their main goal. This is why medical doctors sell deadly quack cures galore while the FDA goes after vitamin salesmen.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
FDA doesn't inspect Food: that's the job of the USDA. FDA only approves and sets specifications for food, ingredients used in food, and drugs (and shuffles papers, forcing YOU to have to shuffle papers, and generally gets underfoot of any/all businesses they oversee. which is damn-nigh everything nowadays).

I've dealt with BOTH of them - they're BOTH an enormous pain in the ass, but I'd rather deal with the USDA folks, as at least they're pointing-out problems (potential and real) rather than making certain your Form-R is up-to-date, your Stormwater-permit is current, and you've got records for the last 10-years of every single ingredient you've ever bought, sold, used, or disposed-of down to the smallest bag. They really don't give a shyte WHAT you did with them, they just want the Records current.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote