Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Joshua Tree Ride!

The GF and I spent our weekend cruising through Joshua Tree NP. I try to make a trip every year and we had to get it in before the desert becomes unbearably hot.

Bust out your google map and follow us from the West entrance of the park on down to the bottom.

The area know as Joshua Tree was developed over tens of millions of years of volcanic activity and earthquakes. Sometimes a little perspective is necessary when discussing our ever-changing earth.

We continued on South of the park and rode through box canyon into Mecca. (Mecca it's not!)

From there we turned south along the Salton Sea and then headed west into Borrego Springs for lunch. The roads are perfect and lightly traveled and it was easy to clip along at triple digit speeds on the Blue Angel. It was 105 in Borrego when we decided to head up the mountain through Ranchita and then head home to 64 degrees and fog.

Total round trip was about 450 miles. Enjoy!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
V2Rider
Premium Member

Looks like you had a great ride. I spent six years up in the high desert so I hear you about beating the heat. The area definately defines rugged beauty.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
The Spaceman
Registered Member

They ought to pave over that ****-hole and put up a WalMart. Or at least build a bunch of time-shares all over it so somebody can make an honest buck.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
They ought to pave over that ****-hole and put up a WalMart. Or at least build a bunch of time-shares all over it so somebody can make an honest buck.
I might put a recharge station in for your Brammo because it won't make it through the park otherwise. I couldnt live with my KMo dying in the desert.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I might put a recharge station in for your Brammo because it won't make it through the park otherwise. I couldnt live with my KMo dying in the desert.
Solar-powered, right?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Solar-powered, right?
You know, when you enter the park at the West entrance, it is all downhill to the South entrance. There are stretches where you can coast, engine off for miles. My computer readout was showing an overall 60 MPG at one point between riding there and my cruise through the park which one done on a single tank of gas.

It was kinda cool cruising through in silent mode. I thought for a minute that doing a trip through the park on an electric bike might be cool, BUT there is no way it could be done on the limited range they offer.

Your dusty bones would be all that's left.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

Either your lady friend is tiny, or that bike is really large!

Looks like a great ride!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Either your lady friend is tiny, or that bike is really large!

Looks like a great ride!
She's an itty bitty thing.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Great Place

Joshua Tree is on my permanent list of yearly rides. I usually enter from the South via Mecca. You are right, Mecca it's not. Joshua Tree is definately a Total Consiousness type ride. If only ER2 could have been there to help you celebrate Earth Day.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
Joshua Tree is on my permanent list of yearly rides. I usually enter from the South via Mecca. You are right, Mecca it's not. Joshua Tree is definately a Total Consiousness type ride. If only ER2 could have been there to help you celebrate Earth Day.
I used to enter the South but once I started on the West entrance I've never gone from the South again.

It's really cool enjoying the park downhill.

That short stretch between Mecca and I10 is amazing. I'm gonna go through there again without my passenger and do some serious a$$ hauling.