Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 04-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
You know, when you enter the park at the West entrance, it is all downhill to the South entrance. There are stretches where you can coast, engine off for miles. My computer readout was showing an overall 60 MPG at one point between riding there and my cruise through the park which one done on a single tank of gas.

It was kinda cool cruising through in silent mode. I thought for a minute that doing a trip through the park on an electric bike might be cool, BUT there is no way it could be done on the limited range they offer.

Your dusty bones would be all that's left.
My son's Mom Kristine and I went to Maui for a couple of weeks. One of the most fun things we did was a "no-pedaling" bicycle trip. They take you to the top of the island's big volcano/mountain in a van, then you get on the bikes and coast down. It's probably about 30 miles or so of really great pavement with switchbacks, hairpins, etc. You can go as fast as your nerves allow...maybe 40 or so. You can feel the bike's forks and frame flexing, the tires slipping in the corners; it's really amazing. And of course, the only sound is the tires on the road.

Last edited by The Spaceman : 04-24-2012 at 06:08 AM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #12
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Just an FYI - one should be wary of coasting, engine-off in Neutral on a moto for extended time - the output shaft is still turning with the rear wheel when you're doing this, and on some motos, the shaft-bearings are pressure-lubed from the engine oil-supply. It doesn't take KPaul the Rocket-Surgeon to figure-out the potential for denied Warranty Claims.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Glad you like the bike, Buz. And I like your flavor of the month too!

I've seen a couple of those Beemers around. It's too bad that all the bodywork basically hides any unique character of the 6. Maybe you should put on 6 fishtail open pipes on it.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Just an FYI - one should be wary of coasting, engine-off in Neutral on a moto for extended time - the output shaft is still turning with the rear wheel when you're doing this, and on some motos, the shaft-bearings are pressure-lubed from the engine oil-supply. It doesn't take KPaul the Rocket-Surgeon to figure-out the potential for denied Warranty Claims.
Yet another plus for chain and belt drives.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Glad you like the bike, Buz. And I like your flavor of the month too!

I've seen a couple of those Beemers around. It's too bad that all the bodywork basically hides any unique character of the 6. Maybe you should put on 6 fishtail open pipes on it.
There really is no way around it. It has a huge radiator and coolant reservoir along with an oil cooler. There is lots of plumbing under there.

It will be a miracle if they could make that into a naked. I've been with my flavor over a year now!

Speaking of naked, just test rode the Aprilia Tuono. Holy mother of God!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I only coasted engine off for a short distance. Most of the coasting was in neutral with the engine idling.

Good to know though!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I've been with my flavor over a year now!
Jeez, that is waay past your usual expiration date.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Yet another plus for chain and belt drives.
Goes same-same for those final-drives as well. It is the transmission internals I'm referring-to here, not driveshaft.

Harley non-Sportster twins likely do not have the possibility for damage due to separate oiling - but most Metrics almost-certainly DO.

I'd wager that, if motor/trans are unitized (and it was made since the '90s), it has a pressure-lubed transmission.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 04-25-2012 at 04:59 AM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote