Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Default Go Get Yourself Some Cheap Sunglasses

One of the few things I "splurge" on is sunglasses. In Florida they're pretty much required equipment. I've always had Ray-Bans or better. My last few pairs have been Revos. They had a multi-layer glass lens, made by the same factory that produces the face shields for the astronauts.

The set I've been using for about 3 years now developed a crack in one of the inner layers, so I went to Sunglass Hut for a new pair. The sales lady told me the new Revos use polycarbonite lenses (aka: plastic). So I went on line and found the exact model number of the ones I have now. $235 from OpticsFast.com. The new glasses arrived today. Exactly the same as the original set...except for plastic lenses!

I just can't believe that this thin plastic lens is as good as the glass lens. It surely can't cost as much to make. Does anybody have any input on polycarbonite lenses?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
12er
Founding Member

Well do the Poly's fog up when you leave your house? My Revo's would always fog up as soon as I stepped outside of work in Ft L. Love that FL humidity... My Glass lensed Revo's and Ray-bans seem to scratch just as easy as previous Poly lenses, only the Poly's tended to be lighter.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Well do the Poly's fog up when you leave your house? My Revo's would always fog up as soon as I stepped outside of work in Ft L. Love that FL humidity... My Glass lensed Revo's and Ray-bans seem to scratch just as easy as previous Poly lenses, only the Poly's tended to be lighter.
So aside from fogging, you like the poly lenses just as well as the glass? My glass Revos have no visible scratches after several years use...not sure I'd get the same results with poly.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

My old glass Revo python H20's magnified a little so I couldn't play golf in them, the ball was about an inch away from reality. Though for the last decade Ive been wearing my Ray Bans, terminator style as they fit best in my helmet and keep the wind out of my eyes when I run with the shield up. These seem to be Poly, as they are lighter than my last pair. So now its more about fit and lack of distortion than composition for me as the mirrored coating seems to scratch just as easy on glass as Poly. If no lens distortion I'd say poly is better due to weight. If no mirror coating I'd say glass is better durability wise.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

I would've thought ReVo would have replaced the delaminated lens(es).

Maui Jim did on my (certainly not!) Cheap Sunglasses.

My bike glasses are WileyX. Nice and light, and they cover my eyes well. Although they feature changable lenses, they don't offer polarized.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I buy sunglasses at Target and usually lose them before the end of the week.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Plastic lenses are a scam invented to keep you buying glasses frequently. I always use light weight glass specs and they last years and years. Plastic ones are lucky to last a year and that's if you baby them.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Plastic lenses are a scam invented to keep you buying glasses frequently. I always use light weight glass specs and they last years and years. Plastic ones are lucky to last a year and that's if you baby them.
That's kinda what I was thinking. I could send my old Revos in for repair, but the last time I did, they charged over 1/2 the cost of a new pair. And, apparently, they replace glass lenses with plastic.

I guess I'll pay the restock fee and get the Ray-Ban glass-lens shades I saw at Sunglass Hut.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I get perscription shades at my HMO every couple of years when I get new regular glasses, they have a good selection of frames. I always go with the Clark Kent/ Cheap Sunglasses style but from Armani or Nautica so not so cheap after all.

Still, image is everything and it costs money to look this good...

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #10
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post

Still, image is everything and it costs money to look this good...
It's hard not to hate you for being so beautiful.