Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Default Senor Zawa: Never Say "Never"

It seems like only yesterday I was reading that "physics will prevent battery technology from ever being useful for cars," "E-cars are expensive toys for eco-nuts," and similar comments about the inescapable "fact" that E-Cars are doomed from the start. And yet, today Zero is shipping a bike with a 300,000 mile battery. And yesterday:

"Envia Systems, a start-up battery company that counts General Motors as a significant investor, has announced it has produced a cell with an energy density of 400 watt-hours per kilogram (Wh/kg). It also claims they will be priced somewhere in the $125 per kilowatt-hour neighborhood. Put another way, a $20,000 car using these cells could travel 300 miles on a charge.

To contrast Envia's numbers with batteries in electric vehicles available today, most lithium cells fall between 100-150 Wh/kg and easily cost double to triple Envia's projected price.

Envia's numbers aren't just based on expectations from early research. In fact, the cells in question have already undergone independent testing by the Electrochemical Power Systems Department at the Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) and are expected to be commercialized by 2015."

This thread will probably need to be moved to Politics and Religion before long.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Once you drain it, you get to sit for 8 hours waiting for it to charge.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Once you drain it, you get to sit for 8 hours waiting for it to charge.
So? What does your car do when you're sleeping? Go out to the movies without you? Jesus Buzz, we're talking (for me, anyway) a full week's worth of commuting on a single charge.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
So? What does your car do when you're sleeping? Go out to the movies without you? Jesus Buzz, we're talking (for me, anyway) a full week's worth of commuting on a single charge.
Not all of us work in cubicles Kenneth.

and when you're kid gets appendicitis during the night or mama needs help you can just tell them, stick it out for four more hours.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Not all of us work in cubicles Kenneth.

and when you're kid gets appendicitis during the night or mama needs help you can just tell them, stick it out for four more hours.
If that's the best you can do, the future looks pretty bright for E-cars!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
If that's the best you can do, the future looks pretty bright for E-cars!
Should we make a bet which one of us actually buys one first?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Should we make a bet which one of us actually buys one first?
No, because one will come along that you like, and you'll have the cash to buy it and I won't. We can't all be 1% 'ers Buzz!

I might bet you on who buys the first E-Bike. I plan to demo a new Zero S at a dealership in Central FLorida during Bike Week.

BTW: tell Long of the Ride that I'll be in town 3/15 thru 3/18, and at the Daytona 200 race Saturday. Give him my cell number and tell him I have free beer.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
No, because one will come along that you like, and you'll have the cash to buy it and I won't. We can't all be 1% 'ers Buzz!

I might bet you on who buys the first E-Bike. I plan to demo a new Zero S at a dealership in Central FLorida during Bike Week.

BTW: tell Long of the Ride that I'll be in town 3/15 thru 3/18, and at the Daytona 200 race Saturday. Give him my cell number and tell him I have free beer.
We were just talking about that. LR lives right in DB now so he should be an arm's reach away from throttling you with impunity.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

I have no problem admitting being wrong. However as I said the recharge time will have to improve drastically before E-cars will substantially replace G-cars.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:

I won't take that bet!

I think the best thing for you is to own one and get stuck somewhere.