Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 11-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Default Tourances

Got me a set of Metzler Tourances on the old PzKw last week. I took my bike in for the 12k & Annual Service & owner wallet-vaccuming and since the OEM Bridgestone tars were pretty well toast I had them spoon on a fresh set of sticky buns for the winter.

Kinda' fun really, they gave me an F650 GS loaner while the bike was in the shop. Neat little bike, I think it'd be pretty good for a person of smaller stature. I felt like one of those circus bears on a tricycle riding it but it was fun none the less.. but I digress, I picked up my bike the next day in epic rain of Biblical proportions and rode home taking the long way of course.

Initial impressions were that they are pretty smooth running though that applies to almost any new tire. Of note was that they didn't require any weights to balance up so Metzlers QC is still top notch. Off the highway and onto some nice curvy backroads they seemed to do pretty well with the caveat that they were covered in mold release compound, it was po'n ass rain, and standing water all over the place.

It's supposed to dry out during the week so I'll try to get out and scuff them in, though with lows expected in the 20's for Bonney Lake I don't know if I'll be riding in to work for a few days. It's the ol' PNW winter conundrum, if it's above freezing in the mornings then it's usually raining, if it's nice and dry in the mornings it'll be in the 20's. I don't mind the rain that much and I don't really mind the cold per se` thanks to my heated grips, I do mind hitting black ice though so it does temper ones enthusiasm a bit.

At any rate they seem to be good tires, expensive as f*ck but I guess you get what you pay for, I've always had pretty good luck with Metzlers in the past.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
The Spaceman
Registered Member

I'd sure like to find a tire that doesn't square off on the FL roads so fast. I put on new Conti RA's for the C2C Ride, and after 1,500 miles, they're already getting square.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I'd sure like to find a tire that doesn't square off on the FL roads so fast. I put on new Conti RA's for the C2C Ride, and after 1,500 miles, they're already getting square.
Maybe you shouldn't have had that second helping of turkey.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member

I don't know how their DP tires are made, but thr Shinko 'Raven' (sport-touring) tires on my bike are holding up very well!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

What do they make your roads out of, chunks of coral reef or something? I routinely get at least 10k out of the rears on any tire I use. In fact the stock Bridgestone on the GS still had plenty of life left but the front was cupped and worn almost to the wear bars. I wouldn't have even changed them out in the spring or summer but I hate going into winter on worn down tires. I always replace them in pairs and try to time my replacements for late fall when the rain starts so I just bit the bullet this time.

Do you run low pressures? I stick to 36/42 and am anal about checking them, I don't know what the V Strom weighs but I probably weigh close to twice what you do and the GS ain't no ballerina. Of course our roads are water cooled 9 months out of the year and rarely get above 80 for the 3 months of "summer" we have ....

Old 11-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
The Spaceman
Registered Member

I'm careful with the pressure; always at 38 or better front, 42+ rear. The only thing unusual about the roads AFAIK is they get hot as hell in the summer. When the air is 95 and the sun is beating down...

The OEM Trailwings actually lasted longer than any other tires, I just hated how they rode. Like riding on oil when raining...not fun. I hear a lot of good things about Michelin Pilots; IIRC they have a 2-compound setup.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

I spooned a Michelin pilot3 on the rear of the Tiger a couple of months back. It sticks as well as the Pilot. We'll see if the dual compound gives better mileage.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
What do they make your roads out of, chunks of coral reef or something? I routinely get at least 10k out of the rears on any tire I use. In fact the stock Bridgestone on the GS still had plenty of life left but the front was cupped and worn almost to the wear bars. I wouldn't have even changed them out in the spring or summer but I hate going into winter on worn down tires. I always replace them in pairs and try to time my replacements for late fall when the rain starts so I just bit the bullet this time.

Do you run low pressures? I stick to 36/42 and am anal about checking them, I don't know what the V Strom weighs but I probably weigh close to twice what you do and the GS ain't no ballerina. Of course our roads are water cooled 9 months out of the year and rarely get above 80 for the 3 months of "summer" we have ....
I don't know how much you know about Florida's topography, but you don't spend a lot of time on the sides of your tires there.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I don't know how much you know about Florida's topography, but you don't spend a lot of time on the sides of your tires there.

The only time I've been to Florida was in the '70's when the ship was in drydock in Mayport waiting for a new screw. As far as I recall the place stunk both literally and figurativily, so hot and humid you couldn't even breath and nothing around but swamps. I'm sure it's changed a little since then...

Old 11-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Mayport/Jax is actually considered South Georgia by real Floridians. In the '70's the St. Joeseph Paper Company mill was still operating. You could smell it from 100 miles away if the wind was right. Usually downtown stank enough to gag a maggot.

There are curvy roads in FL, just not where I am. From Orlando north it's pretty nice, especially inland. Sometimes I go out and ride around the highway ramps just to try to round the tires out. It doesn't work.

Somebody could make a fortune re-molding rear tires from FL bikes; my last set of Contis were virtually new except for a 2" stripe down the middle, which was worn amost to the belts. If you could re-distribute all that fresh rubber...