Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
We absolutely DO NOT live our lives exactly the same way. I think protecting the environment is important, and even if the only positive thing I can do about it is say so and vote so, that's infinitely better than bad-mouthing every effort towards improving the situation or trying to wish it away.
And I think everyone should get a new pony for Christmas.

So there!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #12
12er
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
And I think everyone should get a new pony for Christmas.

So there!
Too much methane from Pony flatulence...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #13
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
We absolutely DO NOT live our lives exactly the same way. I think protecting the environment is important, and even if the only positive thing I can do about it is say so and vote so...
Um, actually, there are far more positive things you can do than just talk and pull a lever. And they would require the same level of cost and personal sacrifice as the policies you talk about and vote for. The great virtues of actually practicing them, now, are:

a) They will be immediate - no waiting for elections, legislation, implementation, etc. If you support them, you don't need to be forced, right?

b) They will be examples for others, who won't be able to dismiss you as an empty talker.

c) You'll get the satisfaction of living your principles, instead of just being a bien pensant, which is nothing more than moral masturbation.

I'll give you an example. I hate using gas and oil, because I don't want to support Arab maniacs. You hate the use of gas and oil for other reasons. One thing I do is avoid any joyriding. As much as I love riding, I limit it to only necessary travel, and try to find the most fun routes that are still direct. We don't get much good riding weather here, and I hate wasting any beautiful day. But those are the days I bicycle instead. It sucks, but my principles demand it. You've got areas in your life you can cut for principle, so just do it. Because talk and caring are cheap and easy.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote