Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Today's lunch ride with the 6 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/19574-todays-lunch-ride-6-a.html)

Buzglyd 10-17-2011 05:54 AM

Today's lunch ride with the 6

Having had to fulfill Pop Warner football parenting duties on Saturday (son returned kickoff 70 yards for TD!), I was unable to give the K6 a good flogging until yesterday.

My GF hopped on the back and off we went. Holy Mother of Pearl! You've read all the reviews so I'll spare you most of that. It really is one of the most incredible machines I have ridden. The GF loved it too. The passenger accommodations are much more comfortable than the GT.

We rode here:

The Barrett Junction Cafe is a funky little place out in the middle of nowhere. It's got an oddball collection of antiques (decor and customers).

We did about 180 round trip for lunch. Can't wait to get on it again today!

jmdonald 10-17-2011 06:18 AM

Jelous

Normally I would hate the fact you have a new bike and I don't. Especially such a nice one . I have evolved past all the envy and hate. I now share in your good fortune. Ride safe You Bastard. Now we must pass the Jobs bill.

The Spaceman 10-17-2011 06:33 AM

That's great Buzz!

How would you compare the 6 to the 4, in terms of power and usability? Is it a progressive upgrade, or better by an order of magnitude? You mentioned you traded for the new bike, did you foist the Duc off on them, or just the previous BMW?

I've decided I'll get the C-14 no later than March 2012. The kid's orthodontics end by then, so that'll free up a couple hundred a month for a payment (I hate the idea of a bike payment, but its the only way I'll get one). Once I have it, we can find the 1/2 way point between us and meet for lunch!

Buzglyd 10-17-2011 06:41 AM

There is a not a huge difference in power between the two. In fact, I think the 4 dynos at higher HP than the 6 due to higher RPM.

However, the torque of the 6 is higher and much lower in the rev range. The 6 can pull a tall gear from 1200 RPM. And it's smoooooooth.

The 4 cylinder is an amazing motor and very smooth and powerful but it sounds agricultural and gritty compared to the 6.

And the intake wail while you're under load never gets old. I'll never see 40 mpg the way I ride it right now.

There is quite a bit of gear whine particularly in 6th gear at part throttle. Hopefully this will subside somewhat as she "loosens up." It only had 9 miles on it when I took delivery.

sarnali2 10-17-2011 06:54 AM

You're gonna' need to knock the baffels out'a the mufflers, get rid of that d*mn Cat and pull off the airbox and run pod filters if you REALLY want to see what that big b*tch 'll do....that EPA crap is just chokin' 'er up!!!

Buzglyd 10-17-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 268215)
You're gonna' need to knock the baffels out'a the mufflers, get rid of that d*mn Cat and pull off the airbox and run pod filters if you REALLY want to see what that big b*tch 'll do....that EPA crap is just chokin' 'er up!!!

The Remus kit looks pretty bada$$ but $1300 is a lot for little gain and the loss of 22 lbs.

The sound might be worth it though!

Remus Hexacone Slip-On Exhaust Systems for the BMW K1600GT & K1600GTL

The Spaceman 10-17-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 268215)

Don't forget to pull the secondaries! Those engineers who designed them have no idea what they're doing...

Buzglyd 10-17-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 268220)
Don't forget to pull the secondaries! Those engineers who designed them have no idea what they're doing...

I disconnected the front brake too.

The safest thing is to lay 'er down.

sarnali2 10-17-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 268218)
The Remus kit looks pretty bada$$ but $1300 is a lot for little gain and the loss of 22 lbs.

The sound might be worth it though!

Remus Hexacone Slip-On Exhaust Systems for the BMW K1600GT & K1600GTL

Remus quality is pretty good, I ran a Revolution on the GS for awhile but with the baffle out it sounded like a VW bug and with it in it sounded little different than stock. I finally sold it to a guy for $250 after going back to the stock exhaust.

$1300 to save 22 lbs is indeed pretty steep. Plus the weight is low down so you wouldn't really notice it anyway. Does sound good though...Smart move diconnecting that front brake, sum' b*tch 'll lock up and put you right over the bars ev'r dam time........

The Spaceman 10-17-2011 08:25 AM

You've got to love those jokers at Pirate's Lair:

"The benefits of the Remus Hexacone are: Ultra lightweight... deep, sexy sound... high quality materials .. a few extra ponies ... longer lasting erections."

I bought a backrest from them for $350+. Nice part, but DAMN...they must be running a 5000% margin.