Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
pushrod
Founding Member

Thumbs down Utah Motorcycle Sets Fire to Car!

Actually, the car pulled out in front of the bike. I'm predicting the next news tagline.

One or the other (I'm guessing the bike) then caught fire.

Motorcyclist: Life saved by heroes who lifted car - Yahoo! News

I'm mildly surprised that no mention of helmets is made...

Once again, students: Laying a bike down is a terrible idea. Tires have MUCH MORE traction than steel and plastic. Practice your emergency stops!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I'm mildly surprised that no mention of helmets is made...
Better feel again:

Quote:
Tire and skid marks on the highway indicate that Wright laid the bike down and slid along the road before colliding with the car, Assistant Police Chief Jeff Curtis said.

The bike hit the car's hood and bounced to the ground, while Wright, who was not wearing a helmet, slid under the car and then both vehicles burst into flames, Curtis said.
Damn BMW steering-passengers. "Ultimate Driving Machine". Drivers Wanted. Indeed

(yes, I know the second quote is from VW)

Quote:
Despite not wearing a helmet, Riggs said Wright had suffered no head trauma in the accident. Wright does have two broken legs, a broken pelvis, road rash, burns on his left foot and abrasions to his forehead.

Riggs said Wright, who was headed to study at a university computer lab, tried to protect himself by laying his bike down before the collision. Riggs also said Wright remembers some details from the crash and told the family he felt scared and could see and feel the flames.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 09-13-2011 at 02:01 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
V2Rider
Premium Member

I think a majority of the people who "lay it down" just hit the rear brakes too hard, lock them up and lose control. Improper braking. MSF courses should be mandatory for new riders. ABS is looking better all the time.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Rider View Post
I think a majority of the people who "lay it down" just hit the rear brakes too hard, lock them up and lose control. Improper braking. MSF courses should be mandatory for new riders. ABS is looking better all the time.
Exactly. They pound the rear brake with their right foot, just like they do in their car. The rear tire locks up and the bike slides into a lowside.

I wish my bike had ABS. These days not getting it is like installing cable-actuated drum brakes on your bike. Yeah, they work, but WHY wouldn't you use something an order of magnitude better if its available?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Hawk, it looks like that verbiage was added after I read the article. They didn't have a lot of info at that point...

Why am I not surprised that the only 'protective gear' he had was (probably) a rubber cover on his iPhone?

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Hawk, it looks like that verbiage was added after I read the article. They didn't have a lot of info at that point...

Why am I not surprised that the only 'protective gear' he had was (probably) a rubber cover on his iPhone?
I figured as much - noticed it had been "updated" just minutes before I read it.

He might have had some "protection" in his wallet - you know them Bikers: always gettin' laid from the Biotches on ev'er street-corner just flockin' to open-pipes.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Exactly. They pound the rear brake with their right foot, just like they do in their car. The rear tire locks up and the bike slides into a lowside.

I wish my bike had ABS. These days not getting it is like installing cable-actuated drum brakes on your bike. Yeah, they work, but WHY wouldn't you use something an order of magnitude better if its available?

I think that pretty well covers it. Crap pants - Nail rear brake - Fall down - Save face by telling your dipsh!t buddies "I had to lay her down"

A few months ago when that helmetless rider got killed at a helmet protest run he supposedly grabbed the front brake on his Sporty and bit it. They interviewed some broad afterwards who said "my husband and I have been riding 40 years and one thing we know is never to use the front brake" or words to that affect.

The only cure for entrenched stupidity like that is to make them wear a padded rubber suit anytime they go outdoors.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote