Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 07-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
schizuki
Founding Member

Default So am I a Harley guy now, or a Sportster guy?

Picked up a new 883 Iron yesterday. Man, it's a different breed of cat. Raw. But fun in an unrefined way. And apologies to the drivers I honked at every time I tried to signal a turn. Twenty-five years with Japanese switchgear is hard to overcome, especially when the Japanese layout makes more sense.

Anyway, they gave me a dealership shirt, and it has a skull on the front. It's now hanging on the garage wall with the skull facing the wall. And the dudes hanging around the dealership didn't look too impressed with my full-face helmet and Belstaff textile jacket.

Now I know Harley guys look down on Sportsters, so am I a Sportster guy now, not a Harley guy? Because skulls and wolves and DILLIGAF patches ain't my style.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Perhaps you could go Hipster. Get some skinny jeans and some Converse tennies. Wear a a 3/4 helmet with no face shield and spray some metal flake paint on it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

When are you putting in the 1250 kit? Before or after the tattoos?
Old 07-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Perhaps you could go Hipster. Get some skinny jeans and some Converse tennies. Wear a a 3/4 helmet with no face shield and spray some metal flake paint on it.
Well, I was wearing Sketcher-ish sneakers...

And no 1250 or tats for me, Seru. Our roads are twisty and frost-heaved, so it has plenty enough grunt for that. And I can't think of anything I want tattooed on my body forever, except maybe a portrait of Ronnie Reagan. What I will be doing is replacing the torture-rack seat and swapping the inch-and-a-half travel shocks with taller Progressives.

Do you guys know that Harley sells POW/MIA flag kits? Seriously.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
Do you guys know that Harley sells POW/MIA flag kits? Seriously.
I'm not surprised. BTW there are no POW/MIAs. The people claiming that they had proof of POW/MIAs in Vietnam were exposed as frauds years ago. They made a lot of money suckering family members and should burn in hell. Now HD makes money promoting the same thing. Disgusting.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
And apologies to the drivers I honked at every time I tried to signal a turn. Twenty-five years with Japanese switchgear is hard to overcome, especially when the Japanese layout makes more sense..
THe H-D's still have the r signal on the right & l signal on the left? I knew they did early on but thought they changed it in recent years. I never understood how to turn on a right signal while holding throttle & brake, shifting (usually) can wait. Enjoy the new ride & put the shirt on Craigslist, or donate it as a door prize at the next run you attend.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Get the vest. You're gonna need room for all the pins.

I really enjoy Harleys, I just can't stand most of the tools that hang out at Harley rallies. That's why I don't go to 'em.

Did you buy it brand new? Were you able to grind 'em on the price?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
V2Rider
Premium Member

Quote:
Now I know Harley guys look down on Sportsters, so am I a Sportster guy now, not a Harley guy? Because skulls and wolves and DILLIGAF patches ain't my style.
Been riding Harleys for 30 years and to be honest I've only run into a handfull of guys that thought that way. They would be idiots even if they didn't ride HDs.

I have the opposite problem on directionals. On my Victory and Triumph I'm always trying to find the turn signals on each side.

As far as the rallies go I've been to most of them. They and the people are the same even if they aren't.

Congrats on the new bike.

Last edited by V2Rider : 07-16-2011 at 08:40 AM.
V2Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Did you buy it brand new? Were you able to grind 'em on the price?
It's a leftover 2011 (leftover? It's 2011! But I guess the 2012s are coming in soon.) I was willing to pay MSRP ($7,999) and Harley's freight charge ($305), which would have been $8720 OTD with Maine's 5% sales tax. They quoted me something like $9700 OTD with a bunch of doc fees and jacked-up freight. I politely but firmly said he'd have to lose all of that, and he immediately went down to $8500 OTD. Since I'm a crap bargainer and I'm sure it's a pretty low-margin bike, I said, "Deal." The negotiations took about five minutes.

And I'm going to need a vest just to carry minor stuff. No underseat storage?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
THe H-D's still have the r signal on the right & l signal on the left? I knew they did early on but thought they changed it in recent years. I never understood how to turn on a right signal while holding throttle & brake, shifting (usually) can wait.
Yep, left and right controls. Several times I rolled the throttle stretching my thumb for the right signal. Stupid set-up.