Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle.Com Lounge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/)
-   -   Today's lunch ride (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-com-lounge/18868-todays-lunch-ride.html)

Buzglyd 06-30-2011 02:13 PM

Today's lunch ride

While the rest of you morons were fixing the Obanomy, I went on a nice lunch ride up to Cuyamaca. Look it up!

It was about 150 mile round trip for a burger. I went from Sea level to about 5000 ft elevation.

pushrod 06-30-2011 02:41 PM

Sounds awesome!

While I was up touring Yellowstone, I found myself thinking that I was glad I wasn't on my bike. After I got over the shock, I realized that there were WAY too many distractions, road hazards like sheer drop-off shoulders and wandering large critters (and, judging from the landmines, apparently the elk and bison are eating REALLY well!), other drivers that are not paying as much attention to their navigation as they should, etc. It didn't appear to be a nice place to ride.

And there was still quite a bit of snow.

All in all, I was content to be in a rental van.

Buzglyd 06-30-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 262442)
Sounds awesome!

While I was up touring Yellowstone, I found myself thinking that I was glad I wasn't on my bike. After I got over the shock, I realized that there were WAY too many distractions, road hazards like sheer drop-off shoulders and wandering large critters (and, judging from the landmines, apparently the elk and bison are eating REALLY well!), other drivers that are not paying as much attention to their navigation as they should, etc. It didn't appear to be a nice place to ride.

Corners and mountains and critters usually freaks out you flatlanders.

It's normal out here.

The_AirHawk 06-30-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 262443)
Corners and mountains and critters usually freaks out you flatlanders.

It's normal out here.

Hell man, I scared-off a Black Bear in my backyard (literally!) last week at about 2:00 in the morning.

Just glad it wasn't a Catamount - Bears fear humans (generally), and will run. If a big Cat gets a thought in its head like "I can take him" - it'll probably try. And probably go Charlie Sheen all-over your ass, too.

(DUH! WINNING!)

V2Rider 06-30-2011 04:27 PM

Nice. I need to take lunch breaks like that. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of altitude change down here in LA.

12er 06-30-2011 05:04 PM

I'm going for a ride tomorrow, scrub in my new back tire.

jmdonald 06-30-2011 05:52 PM

That's a nice ride

I have ridden that route a time or two although it's been a while.I did ride the 74 from Palms Springs on my way back from Death Valley in May.There are a lot of great roads in SoCal.Now that the fool Jerry Brown has signed a bill to tax Amazon.com purchases my life is close to perfect.Ride on Buzz.

Buzglyd 06-30-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 262454)

My guess is you'll need at least two burgers.

Morbo the Destroyer 07-01-2011 11:49 AM

It's raining here. And it's going to keep raining until Fall.

sarnali2 07-01-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 262442)
Sounds awesome!

EEEEEiiiii bite your tongue, I rode my '85 K100RS to Yellowstone a week after I bought it brand-spankin' new, that was one of the most fun and memorable rides I've ever taken. You simply can't appreciate the grandeur and wide openness from behind a windshield.

Granted we almost got creamed by a buffalo and the Winny-Wasto's were thick as flies but once we got away from the tourist attractions and out into the hinterlands it was simply breathtaking and we had the place to ourselves. Bear in mind we don't lack for scenic wonderfulness and twisty roads here either but Yellowstone on a bike is a real treat.

V2Rider 07-01-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 262491)
EEEEEiiiii bite your tongue, I rode my '85 K100RS to Yellowstone a week after I bought it brand-spankin' new, that was one of the most fun and memorable rides I've ever taken. You simply can't appreciate the grandeur and wide openness from behind a windshield.

Totally agree.

siteandrun012 10-06-2011 07:41 AM

silentgrayfellow 10-06-2011 10:03 AM

Is there an echo in here?