Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Other > Motorcycle.Com Lounge

Old 06-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
schizuki
Founding Member

Default For the gun nuts

Having resolved that our entire monetary system will soon collapse and that any money in the bank is marked for death, I decided to exchange some soon-to-be-worthless paper for metal. Gold is boring. Guns are more fun. I bought a few toys over the last two months that should appreciate or at least hold their constant-dollar value, and which I can someday barter to a gold bug for food.

For what a loaf of bread will cost in 2025, I picked up a nifty little Beretta 1934 in .380. From the lack of slide markings, it was made in '43 or '44. Late war or no, Beretta quality is still evident and the bluing is in nice shape. The only evidence of wartime stress is noticeable asymmetry in the slide nose sculpting. It's a little jewel, feels great in the hand, makes me feel like James Bond (it's about the size of a Walther PPK). A bargain at $275, I think. No magazine was included, but I scored a pair off Gunbroker for $40, and one of them actually works.

I already own a 1911, but I've heard awed reverence for the Browning Hi-Power, so I decided to double down on John Moses Browning designs*. I snagged a 75th Anniversary model. High-polish blue with walnut grips and subtle 75th Anniversary engraving on the top of the slide, it's a stunner. I guess Hi-Power diehards frown on the new models, but I don't anticipate shooting it that much anyway. The wide double-column grip feels a little awkward compared to the slim 1911, but the pistol still holds and balances well. Nicely visible 3-dot sights should help shooting, but the truly miserable trigger won't. It's got a magazine disconnect safety that makes the trigger horrendously gritty and creepy, with a lot of take-up and a fairly stiff pull.

Finally, I traded in some gift cards and Cabelas reward points for a 25th Anniversary Beretta M9 (the military version of the M92). It's a behemoth, dwarfing both the 1911 and the Hi-Power. It comes with both black rubber grips, and fancy walnut ones with a medallion. First impressions aren't great. It doesn't feel comfortable to grip, the balance seems odd, and it has the crappy front-dot-and-rear-post sight set-up, which I find frustrating to acquire. On the plus side, the single-action trigger pull is light and crisp, and it's the pistol John McClane used in Die Hard, so if Marco decides to shoot at me through a conference table while taunting me, I'm equipped to blow his legs off from below.

Yippee-ki-yay, motherf***er.

* Yes, I know, the final design probably owes more to Dieudonne Saive, but still.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Sir_Angus
Registered Member

All very nice choices, but you'll need to round out the collection with a rifle and shotgun ... Ya know, for when the zombies attack or your aforementioned global economic collapse.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

Nice selection, although as a DieHard 1911 guy, I think the M92 is a POS.

On the plus side, it is made in the USA. Accokeek, MD. Don't try to get a tour of the plant.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Nice selection, although as a DieHard 1911 guy, I think the M92 is a POS.

On the plus side, it is made in the USA. Accokeek, MD. Don't try to get a tour of the plant.
Yeah, it's a strange world when my 1911 is made in Brazil, my Beretta is made in America, and my Fabrique Nationale is made in Portugal.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

I'm developing a lust for a Ruger 'Alaskan' in .454 Casull.

I think my orthopedic surgeon has a plane payment coming up...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Angus View Post
All very nice choices, but you'll need to round out the collection with a rifle and shotgun ... Ya know, for when the zombies attack or your aforementioned global economic collapse.

Hence my Benelli SuperNova Tactical w/ pistol grip, just the ticket for keeping the riff-raff out of the cabbage garden. My trusty 686 stainless and Airweight J frame pocket popper are enough hand cannons, though I'd like a 1911 Combat Commander for prestige..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

A shotgun is the one most important weapon for a civilian. A Remington 870 Express is fairly cheap but very strong and reliable. We put thousands of buckshot rounds through them in Nam and they never failed. Wish I could say that about the cheapshyt M-16s. Get the 870 with the deer slug barrel, the 7 round magazine and the traditional stock.

For autoloaders my fav is my Ruger P-90. It's .45ACP and never fails to fire no matter what ammunition I feed into it. Can't say that about the 1911. With the double-action you don't have to walk around ****ed-and-locked.

My favorite wheelgun is my Ruger GP100. It will take loads that will turn a Smith and Wesson into a hand grenade.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
A shotgun is the one most important weapon for a civilian. A Remington 870 Express is fairly cheap but very strong and reliable. We put thousands of buckshot rounds through them in Nam and they never failed. Wish I could say that about the cheapshyt M-16s. Get the 870 with the deer slug barrel, the 7 round magazine and the traditional stock.

For autoloaders my fav is my Ruger P-90. It's .45ACP and never fails to fire no matter what ammunition I feed into it. Can't say that about the 1911. With the double-action you don't have to walk around ****ed-and-locked.

My favorite wheelgun is my Ruger GP100. It will take loads that will turn a Smith and Wesson into a hand grenade.
I love the P90 - could use the fakker for a Hammer with the dec0cker engaged (not that you'd want to). Reasonably accurate, easy recoil - but gets "topheavy" as you empty it ('cuz that alloy frame weighs nothin' an' the stainless slide is one heluva big mass frittering-around up top). Easy care, can field-strip it in like 5-seconds.

I've got a Winchester 1200 Defender for closeup-work. Sabot slugs make one **** of a hole in a washing-machine....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
newagetwotone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I'm developing a lust for a Ruger 'Alaskan' in .454 Casull.

I think my orthopedic surgeon has a plane payment coming up...
Man... one of my favorite all time guns is a casull...

When i was about 15 i picked up my grandfathers Freedom Arms .454 and said "Can I shoot this?" Now I had shot with him for years, pins and milk jugs and the like and i got told "No." About 6 months later he pulls it out and hands it to me, loaded and says "You have 6 shots make them count."

Lets just say even after popping off pins with a .44 mag it was a little bit of a.... surprise.... when I first pulled the trigger. To this day I love blowing up unopened pop bottles with it >_>

Sort of hope someday his FA comes to me.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote